removal of foreign object from spa plumbing

vinyljay69

Hello all,

I have a Viking Legend spa.  One (1 of 4) of the water intake grates near the bottom was accidentally broken, and a small piece of plastic from the housing was sucked into the intake pipe.  The piece is no more than an inch long and a couple cm's wide.  I didn't immediately realize it, so the spa and pumps were run afterward.  However, it doesn't appear to have affected the spa adversely - the pumps seem to run normally, and I don't hear any rattling or out of the ordinary noises.  My obvious concern is the plastic piece entering one of the pumps.  So - does anyone have recommendations on what step(s) to take next?  For example, should I drain the spa and try to push it back out by refilling through the skimmer?  Also, does the pump have a screen or some type of filter that further protects it from debris?  Suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance.

Jay

Go under your spa and see where the pipe from that drain leads.  It may go to a pump, to a "T", to the bottom of the filter housing, to the heater or who knows where. I've pulled the metal faces from mini-jets out of pumps, BIC cigarette lighters (chewed up), small pebbles and plastic army men.  I've seen a few impellers broken by items that lodged in, and a few that still worked find, although a bit chewed up.  The plastic grating on the drain covers will loose a fight if put up against a jet pump impeller.  A circ-pump impeller might be a little more likely to be damaged, the the 3/4" fittings have even smaller interior dimensions and I doubt they could pass a piece of plastic an inch long and 2 CM wide.

Thanks, Cusser.  That was my thought as well, but my main concern was protecting the pumps.  I didn't know if a piece that small could get into either of them, or if it would cause any damage.  So far, no issues.  Do you know if there a screen of some sort that protects the intake directly into the pump?

Thanks, ScubaDave.  So far, I've had no issues.  It really is a small piece that doesn't appear to have had any negative effect, so I'm inclined to leave it be until I drain and refill the spa in a few months.  I did try to visually trace the line, but because of foam insulation, I wasn't able to trace with any certainty so I couldn't tell exactly where it comes from and where it goes.  I would assume the pump has a screen of some sort that protects it from small debris and foreign objects.  Is this the case?

• 2 years later...

Help help help. My rubber light covers on our head rest were floating around whilst filter was out and outletin take cover was off. Didn't realise they dissappear till I started to refill. Now the jets are at ver low pressure can't find them, what do I do