Correct way to use MPS

Susanj

6 tbsp is a fairly random # as they don't know the condition of your water and they don't know if you're also using an ozonator or SWCG, etc. There is no standard "recipe" for maintaining water. 6 tbsp may bring the bromine up to 6ppm or 30ppm. It'd be a crap shoot with the info. presented.

For every-day sanitation, test water, enter results into an app., such as poolcalc, add chemicals as directed to maintain @ 3ppm of bromine. After bathing, add enough oxidizer to account for the increased sanitizer load and finish back at 3ppm. Soon you will "get a feel for it" and you may not need to use the app.

Periodically (I rarely do), or if the water starts to get cloudy, bring bromine up to "shock" level (10+ppm) to break down organic waste (body oils, etc.). Again, an app. can tell you how much to add to arrive at 10+ppm. Avoid bathing until sanitizer levels have come down to a safe level (below 10ppm).

Many of us will tell you that household bleach is better and cheaper than MPS, but MPS does work.

I suspect you're going to add that it's a rental and you're not there to test the water. If we don't know the condition of the water and the amount of water then we can't tell you how much MPS to add. You should try to duplicate the conditions your tub may encounter from renters and "get a feel" for what it takes to maintain sanitation. Then you can instruct them to do the same. Without actual water testing, though, it's still a crap shoot. You don't know how many people were in the tub and you don't know how long they were in there or how "dirty" they were.

Thank you . It's a 375 gallon tub. You are correct-the problem is, this is a vacation rental and could have 6 people in it daily and I don't want or expect them to check. I am thinking of leaving instructions to add 2 oz after each use. Our maintenance guy will come in-between guests.

I could leave test strips for them I suppose and instructions.

Or maybe , even though it's a bromine spa, leave dichlor with instructions. Is that any easier to use?

I don't want to leave bleach for guests to use.

On a related note-cloudy water. How do you know whether to bring the bromine to shock level or to use a clarifier? Or to change the water but I suppose that depends on the TDS and if the other measures aren't able to clear up the water.

I am trying to educate myself in case I have to do this. And because I am not so sure the service people I've spoken to in our small town (there aren't an abundance to choose from) are as knowledgeable as I'd prefer.

Cloudy water could be that filter is plugged and needs replacing. Could be a result of low sanitizer levels . Also could be your ph levels are running too high and calcium in water is now coming out of suspension and will turn water cloudy also. TDS is another thing to consider if previous 3 are all good and water still cloudy.