Sundance Calypso II pump troubleshooting.

Graham V

I have  a Calypso II spa, and pump #1 is running on low speed, 24/7.

The spa has two large pumps (1 and 2 stage), and a circ pump that is wired into the Ozone accessory.

The Circ pump should run all the time, but not Pump #1.

See page 15 under Jets:  http://www.sundancespas.ca/Communications/InstructionManuals/1997650.pdf

Any ideas for troubleshooting?  I am wondering if a solenoid may be failing (and how to test it), or if it is the electronics.

There is a setting on the circuit board to tell the controller if the spa has a circ pump or not.  Has any work been done to the spa lately?  Pump 1 running at low speed 24/7 sounds like it's wired into the circ pump position on the circuit board.

Do the 2 jets pumps work properly?

You said the circ pump is wired into the ozone accessory.  Do you mean the circ pump is attached to the terminal strip where the ozonator is supposed to be attached?  Why?

To try to isolate the problem to either the pump or circuit board, try swapping the wires on the circuit board between pumps 1 & 2.   In other words, wire pump 2 to the mounting position for pump 1and see if the 24/7 operation continues.  If pump 2 is a single speed pump, try it on both the low speed and high speed circuit board terminals.

Then put pump 1 to the circuit board connector for pump 2.  You'll have to try both speeds separately.  

If the problem moves to the pump 2 button, it suggests the pump is the problem.  If pump 2, when wired into the pump 1 circuits, runs 24/7, it indicates a problem with the circuit board.

I get the process, but don't see how the pump can be the issue (don't see how the problem could follow the pump).  The power is controlled by the relays on the board, so what would have to be wrong at the pump to keep it running if the circuit board is fine?  If logic follows, there should be no power to the pump for it to run on... ?

If I have a bad relay, what are the chances that they are easily swapped (plugged in)..?  Or do I need to get the soldering tools out.

Changing the relay's should be easy if soldering electronics is in your skill set.  I couldn't do it.

Sorry, I don't know your electronics background.  Lots of do it yourselfers make mistakes that you might not.  What you say about the pumps is probably true, but they do have electronic circuits in them.  Before I remove circuit boards, I would swap a couple of wires just to eliminate the pumps. I've seen weird things in hot tubs.

Hello all.

Apologies for the lack of response...  I got it fixed, but still have no idea what happened..
I thought I had narrowed the issue down to the relay in the pic below (always connected), but in my fiddling I accidentally shorted a connection and popped the 30A fuse.    I also had a problem with the mechanical timer (which I pulled out and fiddled with), and once it was all back together, the issue no longer happened.

So I don't know if the issue was the relay, or if the micro-switch in the timer was stuck on...

On the up-side, I have learned a lot more about my tub, and it seems to be running fine.

relays.jpg