heater connection burned off of my board

huddsean

I got a free older hot tub a few years back and its been working fine up too now. Its a cal spa 2100. Any way I went to jump in this morning and cold water, checked the breaker It was blown. I flipped it and after a couple  few seconds it tripped again. After I changed and came back out I tried it one more time except I hit the jets button right after it turned on. The jets  ran for a few seconds and then the breaker tripped. Then I smelled the wonderful burning plastic smell coming from the board housing. Took it apart and one of the connections was burned off of the board. I'm a newbie at hot tub repair but pretty handy at fixing things if pointed in the right direction. Is the board the likely only problem or could something like the heater have been out and I caused the board problem by messing with it. Im looking at replacing the board and whatever else is wrong and it seems simple enough but I am seeing all in one power heater packs that would replace everything for maybe a little cheaper. I am wondering if that would be the way to go. My heater is behind the top of my board housing and not on the bottom like all these all in one units  I am looking at. Is there a work around or can I not use these because of this. Of course I dont want to put in a new board and watch it go up in smoke because I didnt do something else first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The both screws were fairly easy to turn if that matters.

Sean 

DSCN2114.JPG

DSCN2115.JPG

The fact that both screws are easy to turn suggests that the board burned up because of arcing.  Everytime we service a tub, we check the heater and main power terminals and tighten if necessary.

To replace the entire pack, you can get a Hydroquip, which has a moveable heater can (that's the tube at the top.)  You can also by a less expensive pack like a Gecko ye.5 and install it upside down.  When replacing a pack, make sure it can handle the number of pumps and other accessories you have.  Also make sure you buy the full pack kit with the spaside.  Since most packs have the electrical power input on the left, turning it upside down would put it on the right, which will go very well with the power source in your photos.

thank you I was curious if that was a possibility, I didnt really want to run new wires. I am looking at just replacing the board for just under $300. Another $120 to replace the heater. That would be a lot less improvising. The old heater is a heat exchanger with the element on the outside of the tube and I just saw a video of a burned up one because the limit didnt work and it caught fire. I'm thinking now that I have it all apart it might be a good thing to go ahead and switch that to a new wet element heater.