Heating element overheating

Eric g

I've got this problem with my Balboa spa. Here's the problem. They heating element will not turn off when the pumps turn off so the hot tub reads as overheat. You can actually hear the water boiling inside of the heating chamber. I have replaced the board, water flow pressure switch and temp sensor. Still having the same problem. Does anybody have any ideas?

First of all, your heater is turning off.  The water heats drastically and the hi limit sensor shuts it down, which is why the spa gives an overheat error, as it's supposed to.  

It sounds to me like the problem is the pump shutting down.  I had a customer with similar symptoms.  Although it was a new pump, the overheat sensor in the pump motor was shutting down the pump.  Replaced the pump and everything worked normally.  Spa motors have a sensor to turn off the pump if the motor shaft binds; the motor electronics thought the motor wasn't turning so it turned the pump off.

So my question is, why is the pump shutting off?  Are you pressing the jets button or is something else going on?

• 2 years later...