Thinking of switching spa to chlorine

Susanj

I did a lot of research 10 months ago before we got our hot tub and decided bromine was the better way to go . We're thinking of possibly switching now.

For one thing , all the service people see more from familiar with chlorine. 

Partly what put me off on chlorine was you have to worry about CYA.   Another thing you have to test for . And I think you also have to test both free chlorine versus total chlorine? It just seemed more complicated to me. Am I overthinking things? 

Although we have a service person for our spa at a vacation rental,  I want to be able to do it myself as well , if need be.

When you filled your tub did you add a "starter pack" of sodium bromide or have you just been using tablets in a floater?

If you didn't add the starter pack then you actually have a chlorine tub for many weeks until the tablets leach enough bromide into the water.

Chlorine and bromine are both effective sanitizers. Bromine is a little better for warm water applications but chlorine is fine. Some people are sensitive (skin or odor) to one or the other so that seems to be the deciding factor.

For most people the only downside to chlorine is that it has a stronger odor.  Chlorine is usually easier and cheaper to procure than the bromine products, it is pretty easy to manage - all you really need are some of the test strips and a teaspoon, and a jar of the dichlor type granules.  My spa requires around 4-5 teaspoons per week on average with my typical use.  With heavier use by more people, or by someone who gets more oil or lotion / soap etc into the water, you would end up using more.

The CYA will creep up over time, but I have not had any issues with it.  I change my spa water a few times a year so the CYA does not have enough time to accumulate to higher levels.  I have found that it is pretty easy to keep my spa water balanced.  Our water is a bit soft so when I put in fresh water I have to add a bit of dry acid to get the pH right and sometimes I have to add calcium to get the hardness / alkalinity right.  After that, my typical routine is to just add a teaspoon or two of chlorine as needed.  If the pH starts getting low, I add baking soda as required to keep it in the sweet spot.  Other than that, I will occasionally use a non-chlorine shock oxidizer like the "Renew" product from the Leisure Time line of chemicals.

I don't use any spa minerals or such, on the theory that anything I put in the water could end up settling out onto the plumbing, tub, or myself.  I just try to keep it clean, clear, and properly balanced.  If your tub has a cover, the filters last for a very long time and keeping it clean should be a breeze.

One other thing I will occasionally use is "Bright and Clear" also by Leisure Time.  It is a blue liquid that helps your filter capture extremely fine particles in the water, you just pour in an ounce or so and it does its magic.  I sometimes like to use my spa when it is raining because I enjoy the sensation of being in hot water while the cool raindrops are pattering down, very enjoyable but there is a downside in that rainwater makes the spa get cloudy and the stuff it carries in with it kind of defies regular chlorine.  Don't know why, because the spa water still tests perfectly.  In any event, a dose of "bright and clear" will cause that stuff to get filtered out in very short order and the spa is quickly back to pristine crystal clear water.  (Note that you can buy cheaper versions of the same stuff at places like Leslie's pool supplies in large bottles.)

The only other product I have had to use is anti-foaming agent on a couple of occasions, it helps eliminate the suds and bubbles that can occur if somebody gets in the spa with shorts or such that have been laundered in regular soaps or high efficiency detergents.  The amount of suds produced in such scenarios can be quite remarkable, a couple of capsful of the anti-foam knocks them out in short order.

I use the dichlor then bleach method of sanitizing my spa, It is a lot cheaper than just dichlor and I only have to change my water once a year as the cyanuric acid doesn't build up.

That's one of the main problem in using chlorine in spa or even pools CYA build up. You have to test for it regularly and replace your water once CYA levels is getting high. If CYA levels goes high the cleaning capability of chlorine gets compromised and you'll end up in getting dirty water in your spa. Algae will eventually grow when that happens.

Using bromine will be more expensive than chlorine. But the salts can be reactivated into bromine if you add a little amount of chlorine shock. This will help you in the cost department because you're just reusing it.

If your spa are located indoors it would be best to choose bromine over chlorine. I hate the odor and the irritation it gives.

I buy my spa chemicals from an online seller that does free shipping :)https://pstpoolsupplies.com/discount-non-chlorine-spa-jacuzzi-hot-tub-chemicals/