Jandy LRX

Brian Smith

I have a Jandy LRX natural gas heater for an inground pool that's about two years old.   It's operated by the millivolt system.  The pilot light stays lit all the time so I know it's getting gas.  Our furnace for our house runs fine.

When I turn the heater on it lights up and stays on for two seconds then goes out.  It will cycle like this forever as long as I leave the thermostat turned up and the heater turned on.   Any ideas what may be causing this?

I would start with checking the pilot flame to make sure that the flame is not being deflected away from the pilot generator by some soot on the assembly.  flame can be partially obstructed from the generator and still fire the burner tray.  Are you sure that it is only firing for two seconds?  If it was actually firing for say 10 to 15 seconds then shutting down, it could be something different. 

Side Note: LRX?  Could it be a LXi? or an LRZ(M) ??

Check the pilot light and make sure that its flame is hitting the pilot generator.  And that the pilot flame is not yellow.  Should be more of a blue color, with just the tip of the flame being yellow.

When the flame hits the generator, the generator creates voltage (mV) to operate the solenoid on the gas valve.  A weak or misdirected flame will not generate enough voltage to hold the solenoid on the main valve in the open position and will eventually close. There may be enough voltage to move the solenoid initally (2 sec) but not enough to hold it open for any length of time.

This could be what is happening, or it could be the control board.  Sometimes it is difficult to diagnose problems without actually being on site.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What color is the flame on the pilot?  It should be mostly blue with just a bit of yellow on the tip of the flame.  Any more yellow than that could be an indication of a partially clogged pilot.  Does the pilot go out when you try to fire the heater?