Hot Spring Leak Source

stevedyk

I picked up a used 2010 Hot Spring Sovereign a couple of months ago, and have noticed a small leak that seems to be getting worse.  It's installed on a base of crushed concrete and there is no obvious water pooling up anywhere so I wasn't sure where to start.  The water loss is less than 1" per day.  The control panel is dry everywhere, and I have removed the light shroud which is also dry.  To help with debug, I've been draining it to each jet level and checking if it's still losing water.  The water in the main area of the tub has stopped dropping now that it's below the filter compartment vents, but the filter compartment continues to drop.  With nothing powered up, the water in the filter compartment is now lower than the main tub.  Would this indicate a leak in the standpipes or plumbing below the filters feeding the pumps?

It's mostly above freezing here for a couple of days, so I would really appreciate any advice to get it fixed instead of winterizing :-)

Thanks!

I'll see how low the compartment goes.  Is it otherwise possible that the leak is below an exposed jet and water is flowing through the filter area and pump to the leak?  If so I would expect to know the vertical height of the leak by the level in the filter compartment?

My spa is 28 years old and developed a small leak somewhere.  If I could find the leak source I could fix it. A leak can be from the basin, where the fittings protrude through the basin, or in the high pressure plumbing circuit.  Look for leaks in those areas if you can.

I've searched through the equipment area doors, can't see a drop, or feel any moisture even reaching up into the nether regions with my hands and a paper towel. I've taken off the two other sides that are not against a wall and broken out molded foam, still can't find a leak.

I might get flogged here for this: I admit that I add liquid leak sealer about 3 times a year while filter is out, then a day later do a water change and reinstall the filter.  I've done this for about 5 years now, works for me.  I use http://www.spadepot.com/Seal-a-Leak-Spa-Leak-Sealer-16-oz-P754C57.aspx?zmam=55673001&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=MT1018&gclid=CMK-oY3co9ECFYRofgodYoME8Q

Hot Springs are tough tubs to troubleshoot because of the foam.  In addition to what you've already done, I'd try getting some bamboo skewers at the supermarket and poke around in the foam near the diverter valves and water falls.  If the bamboo comes out wet, you know where to look. At least half of the "non-freeze" leaks I've encountered were at diverter valve plumbing.

We usually recommend Fix-a-Leak to our customers before we start ripping foam out.  Fix a leak works pretty good for drain plumbing and jet fittings.  It works less reliably for plumbing that's under pressure such as motors (and diverter valves).

If the water level in the tub has stopped dropping, I'd look for the leak to be at the level of the tub water.  I've seen filter compartments with visible water in them after the tub was drained, due to back pressure in the plumbing.  That's why we blow out the lines when we winterize tubs.

For anyone with this problem in the future, I dug into the foam and found it was wet at the bottom behind the moto massage backrest.  It drained down to the bleed line at the bottom and that was the broken fitting.  Access is through the bottom and Hot Spring has a coupler to glue in for the fix.  I would guess that most service dealers stock this part as it sounds quite common.

I had similar problem a few years ago with my 91 hotsprings classic and it turned out to be a cracked 1 1/2 inch pipe from freezing .I went crazy finding the leak in the compartment near the light  and found it by poking in the foam on the bottom. The foam used on the hot spring spas is very rugged and will hold a lot of water without any of it leaking out. I found it by draining the tub and slowly adding water until the water flowed in the compartment well away from the cracked pipe. Poking into the foam is the best way....but you will have to dig it out until you find the source. Easier said than done but its possible. I was lucky enough to roll mine up to the edge of the deck by putting 10' pieces of 1/2 inch PVC pipe under it. Then I was able to work underneath and excavate the foam and replace the pipe.

• 8 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 9:01 AM, stevedyk said:

For anyone with this problem in the future, I dug into the foam and found it was wet at the bottom behind the moto massage backrest.  It drained down to the bleed line at the bottom and that was the broken fitting.  Access is through the bottom and Hot Spring has a coupler to glue in for the fix.  I would guess that most service dealers stock this part as it sounds quite common.

The Hot Spring Vanguard has 2 Moto massage, one on the left, and one on the right when looking at the front control panel, is it the right side that failed? As I have this spa, and it started loosing water, since then I spent over $600 in service and parts with Hot Springs, and it is still leaking.

Edited by Sal Cap
I did not complete my writing.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a serious leak in my Hot Springs Sovereign. (its about 10 years old) Had used leak seal for several years for small leaks but started leaking 1 ft per day!!!

I dug into sides but found nothing.   It will drains down completely to the bottom!  So I put tub  on side and dug into the bottom.  I cut out the side drain pipe drain pipe from the heat return fitting as I thought that was it. still leaks.

I found a cut in tiny return or air line about  12 inches from Heat return on the bottom!   How is best way to repair these small lines ?  Are they under preasure or???

They are very hard.

Roger