Pool and SPA issues

tmack7777

Hello all!

Pool equipment

Jandy Aqualink RS6

Jandy Stealth pumps

Long time reader 1st time poster.

I have two issues with my pool and before I call the pool guy I want to make sure I’ve done all I can to resolve the issue on my own.

1st Issue – Pump stays on.

When in auto mode or in service mode the pool pump stays on until I pop breaker or tap the relay with a screwdriver… Now here is the tricky part. I purchased and installed a new relay and the same thing happened. I had to tap the new relay with screwdriver and the pump turned off. Bad relay? I install 1 3rd one today and we will see. Any ideas?

2nd issue – Spa keeps draining each night.

This just started happening. When I wake up some mornings the SPA level drops about ¼ to right above the spa jets (see pic). This does not happen every night and since its “winter in California” we are not using the SPA.

My logic…

If there is a SPA return valve issue the SPA should drain each night. Is that correct?

Any help would be appreciated.  

Image links 

20161229_095736.jpg

20161229_095754.jpg

20161229_095758.jpg

20161229_095802.jpg

20161229_093031.jpg

upload image free

20161229_095736.jpg

I am assuming that the relay you replaced is "new".  If 2nd "new" relay sticks as well, i would check the amperage that is being drawn through the relay.  Pump motor drawing excessive amperage may be sign of getting ready to fail.

three ways spa can drain (attempting to equalize with pool). check valve (your theory, and quite possibly the problem). The return, or the suction actuator(s) not rotating completely.  It may be the angle of the picture, but it looks like your suction side actuator may not be rotated completely.  I'm talking about just a little bit.  That's all it takes for it to drain down overnight.  If you are using the spa regularly. it may be rotating properly one time then not the next (worn gearbox in the actuator).  That would give you the "not doing it every night" symptom.  If you aren't rotating the valves often, i would look at, or replace the spa bypass check valve. 

Thanks Pool Clown for the Reply

SPA Issue

The spa drained last night again. I took off the head of the check valve yesterday. The condition did not look that bad. I don't think its a check valve issue.  I may replace it since it cheap. Pic's below 

Relay issue 

Both relay's were new. I'll check the amperage today

Could a bad salt cell cause the relay problem if its going bad?

I'm going to be replacing it soon. I keep it really clean pics below. 

125-Cell needs to be cleaned or replaced.
194-Cell Current is 85% lower than desired and cell voltage above 19V (generates 125 code -Cell dirty or needs replacement).

20161230_103225.jpg

20161230_103219.jpg

20161230_103205.jpg

20161230_103157.jpg

20161229_105810.jpg

20161229_105803.jpg

20161229_105742.jpg

20161229_105741.jpg

picture uploader

SPA Issue

The spa drained last night again. I took off the head of the check valve yesterday. The condition did not look that bad. I don't think its a check valve issue.  I may replace it since it cheap. Pic's below 

Relay issue 

Both relay's were new. I'll check the amperage today

Could a bad salt cell cause the relay problem if its going bad?

I don' t think so.

I'm going to be replacing it soon. I keep it really clean pics below. 

125-Cell needs to be cleaned or replaced.
194-Cell Current is 85% lower than desired and cell voltage above 19V (generates 125 code -Cell dirty or needs replacement).

If the cell is more than 5 years old (10,000 hrs.) it may be time for a replacement.

20161230_103225.jpg

With the valve in this position, water only passively flows to the spa.  If you were to "force" water through that line, you would be opening the flapper in the check valve a little more than it does in its current state, And that may clear the flapper of anything that may be causing it to leak spa water back to the pool (debris).  

You can try flushing the check valve to remove any possible debris caught in the flapper by forcing water through it.  From the picture above, try rotating the handle of the valve to the twelve o'clock position for 10 to 15 seconds while the pump is running, then back to the 1 or 2 o'clock position.  If this doesn't remedy the draining problem, i would replace the flapper assembly.  You  dont need to replace the housing (plumbing) you can get just the flapper!

picture uploader

• 1 year later...