Chemicals to keep water clean a wood fired hot tub

stvee

Hi,

I have a wood fired hot tub. with a molded plastic inside, an external stainless steel heater and a sand filtration system.

The water still gets manky ( and probably full of bacteria) after a few sessions........

People use it daily and ideally i don't want to change the water more than once a week.

What chemicals do you recommend i use to keep the water clean, ideally NON chlorine as that will corrode the heater?

Many Thanks- Steve

• 2 weeks later...

If the heater is 316 or 316L stainless steel (not 304 stainless steel) then normal chlorine levels should not corrode the heater, especially if you use some cyanuric acid (aka stabilizer or conditioner) in the water with the chlorine.  For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Dichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 9 ppm.

If you must go with non-chlorine, your options are limited to only two EPA-approved non-halogen options: Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB or Nature2 with MPS (non-chlorine shock).