1.5HP Hayward Super Pump II whirl noise

Pooler12345

Hello,

New to the forum

I am helping my neighbor determine a noise issue with his pump (as the pump borders our fence)... he had his pool redone and they installed a new 1.5HP Hayward (I think its a Hayward Super pump II) and out of the box its makes a constant whirl sound (not a screeching bearing sound)... I read that these pumps have an internal cooling fan.. Hayward's own installation manual says to not mount these near a window due to the fan noise...When the pump first turns on and water begins to flow the motor sounds very quiet.. after about 15 seconds I hear the whirl (its constant - almost sounds like a turbine from distant power plant (for lack of a better description)). I assume at startup there is no load, when water is fully flowing the motor is under full load and the whirl sound starts. . is this sound typical for these pumps?...does this sound like the internal cooling fan?...  is it load related? ... is it normal? ....any feedback would be appreciated

thx

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a super pump VS?  It may be a speed issue causing this.  When it starts, it may be going into a "priming" mode where the speed ramps up for a period of time Usually 30 sec or so then settles down to a slower speed, or visa versa.  If he can adjust the "run" speed, try that first.

If it isn't a VS try moving the pump.  Not actually moving, but put your hand on the plumbing or the motor to stop a possible vibration related noise (i know you stated a whirl noise, not a vibration).  If a single speed pump and not a vibration issue, perhaps a call to tech support may give some ideas.  

• 4 years later...