Alkalinity Issue I think??

Thantos

Hey all,

So I went and tested my water in my spa like I do every week and for the alkalinity, the tests calls for 2 drops of "A" 5 drops of "B" test water should now be green, add how ever many drops of "C" and stop when the water turns red. Times the number of drop of "C" by 10 and that the PPM. Pretty simple, usually turns red and works every weekend. This time I could not get the sample to turn red, after about 30 drops it would only turn yellow, is this an opposite reaction, meaning the sample is low on alkalinity? Or do I just need to keep going until it does turn red?

Thanks, Gene

• 3 weeks later...

If the chlorine (or bromine) level is high, then instead of going from green to red, the TA test will go from blue to yellow.  You can either wait for your disinfectant level to get lower or you can use more "A" drops which are probably sodium thiosulfate used to de-chlorinate the sample.

Even so, taking 30 drops to turn yellow would be a 300 ppm TA which sounds high.  Try again when the disinfectant level is lower (< 10 ppm FC).