Stained filters, Cause?Concern?

mrwrick

My Hot Springs Classic is fitted with 3 filters. It got filled in February and has been running clean as a bromine spa with 24/7 DelOzone generator, temp kept at 100 or below, gets little use. Bromine has been steady at 6 this week (has been lower when I have let tablets fully dissolve), pH was high (8, or more by Taylor reagent test, not a strip) but is now 7.8, CH is low at 70-80 ppm, TA is low at 60 ppm. My question: I took a look at my filters today. Each one has some measure of a brown stain on the pleats. It does not rub off, the level of one is highest, about 3/4 of the pleat height, the other 2 have less stain. My water for the fill came from a water delivery that came from a local river and is clean potable water. I do use my well to top up the level, maybe an inch or so of tub volume, and we have iron in our well water. I do not use a sequestrant or water filter when i top up with the hose, but the water in the tub has remained nice and clean. The tub has no staining, just the filters. Please share what may be the cause and the solution and if I should be concerned. Thanks Forum. Always great help here.

• 2 years later...

ll, replying here to my own post with question about stained filters. I use an ozone generator 24/7. I recently learned that ozone removes heavy metals and iron from water and it will get caught in filter pleats, showing as the brown stain i get. Sounds like i have no need for a sequestrant. Anyone confirm this? Thanks.