First time buyer - Hydrotherapy a top priority

jpiller1

Over the past few days, I've taken a look at numerous brands online, as well as posts on this site. Bottom line is that the information is a bit overwhelming. I am searching for a hot tub for my wife, given multiple joint and muscle issues.  So, hydrotherapy is a top priority.  I've seen tubs with lots of jets and tubs with fewer more focused jets.  What she really needs is the right amount, focused on back, shoulders and hips and calfs.  So, a lounger is needed.  She is also of small stature, so she needs a lounger that is not too long and that won't push her out of the seat.

I've read quite a bit on this forum about Marquis, Artesian, Hot Springs, Coast, Clearwater and MAAX.  And the posts seem to lean toward Marquis having positive comments indicating quality build, etc.

I'm hoping someone with extensive experience can help me to identify the top tier manufacturers for our needs. I don't really care about fancy accessories (speakers, lights, radios, etc.). I do care greatly about jet effectiveness for my wife's needs, as well as investing wisely in something that is extremely well-built, reliable and solid (i.e. won't cause me headaches on a regular basis). I don't want cheap parts, poorly made internals, ineffective insulation or a loud machine.  Our price point is 10-13k all in.

I can only glean so much from brand websites and catalogs, and spasearch.org has also not been that helpful.

Right now, we've only seen in person a Master Spa Legend and a Caldera Geneva, and that is because these had local dealers. Based on the negative comments on this site relative to Master Spa, it looks like we will not go that direction. I believe there are also local dealers around for Hot Spring and Artesian.  There is a Marquis dealer within 100 miles.

Please let me know your opinions.  Clearly, we'll have to wet test, but I need a baseline judgment on brands to really hone our search.

Thank you.

Edited by jpiller1
Scriveners error corrected

Sounds like you and your wife need to "wet test" (get in)..... look for a home show with demo hot tubs to try.... or go and try a few at a dealer..... 

petsonally as as a tall guy the longer is a waste on me... wife liked it... but at full whirlpool you can float off....if you wife is small you find that too.

Whichever of your local dealers seems "best" is what spa you should get. All the major brands are similar, all are good, and all have minor issues from time to time. So your relationship with the sales and service people is paramount. 10-13k will get you the top of the line dimension 1 spa by the way, which is loaded and fairly luxurious. 

Thanks to all.  We will certainly be wet testing.  My biggest concern is that we could find a spa that feels great, but has internals that are junk (poor maintenance records, cheap parts, etc.).  Quality build is very important to us, so I was hoping there was something objective out there that could give us some insight or ranking based on what experienced folks know about construction, repair history, etc.

FYI, we are in NC.  There is a Marquis dealer within 100 miles, but nothing local.

I am winnowing down to Caldera, Clearwater, Coast, Marquis and Artesian.

If I have left something obvious out, I'd appreciate any recommendations based on our needs.

Again, thanks to all for your comments, and hopefully, additional feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Wet testing is good, but not critical. For hydrotherapy, your best best is to have a spa that gives your wife enough room to move around and experience difference jets at different points in her soaking. For example, the fixed jets in a lounger where there is a "bend" to the knees and hip placement, make it tougher to move around to expose different areas of the body to those particular jets. But if the spa has open "bench" style seating with jets along the floor and back, it is easy to lie on your side and find a position that allows you to place your hip / knee / back in exactly the right position to benefit from the jets.

I would not worry too much about "floating" too much, that is mostly a function of the jet pressure, water depth, and the size of the individual person. Buoyancy won't change much at all from tub to tub, and since most jets can be adjusted for flow, you can usually find a setting that suits almost anybody.

For hydrotherapy purposes I would suggest that the variety of jets is probably the most important criteria. You want to have the full complement of jet types - small "bullet" jets with hard direct flow, pulsating / oscillating jets for rhythmic massage, etc. It would be ideal if the tub design provides some open seating areas with a "bench" along the side so that it is easy to use the different jets for the desired body part simply by repositioning. Loungers and captain chairs are comfortable for the primary position, but as mentioned above the jets offer less flexibility due to the constrained position.

Pay particular attention to the entry area of the spa - make sure the one you select has a large enough platform to step onto when first getting in the water, that your wife will feel comfortable and stable. With the tubs that have loungers, some of the surfaces that people step onto are slanted/curved and this can be a problem for people with impaired balance or strength.

I would recommend taking a look at the Hot Spring Aria if you haven't looked at one already. Also the Marquis tubs are very good and you can get the "Microsilk" bubble addition which adds more flexibility and therapy (plus makes the water feel exceptionally good too).

Good luck to you both, I am sure your wife will find a spa to be a wonderful benefit to her wellbeing - I bought mine for similar reasons and it is near magical the ability it has to soothe away aches and pains. Whatever you buy, keep a close eye on the chemicals and you will have great enjoyment with little maintenance required.

• 1 month later...

Did you get one yet? If so which?  We ended up with a Sundance Cameo after wet testing.  We were looking at a Marquis Resort but after sitting in a Marquis Epic and a Sundance Optima, we went with the Cameo for the jet action and layout for 2 people. That and the dealer was very knowledgeable, wasn't pushy and didn't talk bad about the competition even though we talked about other spas that we were looking at.

I realize you probably have already made your purchase, but this is a subject I know intimately so I'll throw in my own experience for anyone else who might come looking.

Spas are excellent for pain control. My Caldera is the best purchase I ever made. I'm not exaggerating when I say that its my main pain control for chronic muscle pain and spasm. Now I'm starting with arthritis as well, and it seems great for that too.
My doctor even gave me a prescription for hydrotherapy, though I find just soaking in it is better for me because the vibrations of the jets and movement of the water can be uncomfortable for me except for very short periods.

The different Caldera seats give me options to pick and choose from for where I want to focus the jets when I do use them, but I'm usually in the full size lounge even though I'm tiny (5'1" and slim). The jets give me just enough lift that I can easily relax and float with them without getting pushed off. So long loungers can be comfortable for small people as well. You just have to test them firsthand. When I was looking I tested a number which I didn't find so comfortable.

It helps to have extra control of the force of the water. I don't recall if most had the little air controls which allow you to regulate the force of the jets. I love those. They allow me to fine tune according to how I'm feeling.

• 1 month later...