Jandy Aquapure 1400, No Lights, Error code 170

Cryptik

I have an Aquapure 1400 system that is four years old.  It includes the power center and a three port cell.  Earlier this year, the system was reporting low salt. I added sold but it would not go up.  After taking a sample to the pool store, they said the salt level was not the problem.  After inspecting the system, I found the cell had a lot of scale build up on it.  I cleaned the cell using a cleaner recommended by the pool store and then put the thing back into operation.  It started working right away, but reported a salinity level of about 3.9 (recommended level is 3.0 to 3.5).  I did some water replacements to get the level down to about 3.7 and then let it continue to work.  About three weeks later, the system went into alarm mode and reports an error code of 170 with no lights at all (i.e. no power, flow, service, cell on, etc... no lights at all).  It just displays 170 and beeps every 15 seconds or so.  Pressing and holding the salinity button does not silence the alarm and none of the button controls on the from seem to do anything.

I was suspecting a problem with a control board.. it as a main board and then a small board that plugs into a socket on the main board.  The small board has a ribbon cable that connects it to the user interface module.  Some of the descriptions that I read on this site take about a front and back board... but my system seems to be newer than those.

I have the installer guide.. but I can't seem to find a troubleshooting guide anywhere.  I hate when companies don't make these available.  I am pretty good with electronics and a voltmeter, so I am sure if I had a troubleshooting guide I could at least figure out if a board is bad.  I have found links on this site to the manual, but all of the links go to 404 pages... I am sure there is a reason for that...lol

In any case, I was suspecting a control board or transformer problem, but I don't have any way of knowing how to troubleshoot without the manual.  I am also concerned that the problem might be the cell and/or sensor.  I found out from other posts that I have read, that when cleaning the cell, you should remove the sensor... I did not do this.  Is it possible that the sensor is bad and that is what is causing the issue.  Since the system is 4+ years old, I am not opposed to replacing the sensor and cell... but I don't want to replace those parts if the problem is a control board.  Any advice would be most helpful.

Following up on my post above... if anybody has a link to the troubleshooting manual for the newer style AquaPure 1400 system that they can share, that would be great.  I would like to take some board measurements and try and figure out if its the cell, the sensor, the transformer, the main board, or the little plug in UI board before ordering a replacement.  The system that I have looks like this one....

I have the installation and operations manual but that thing is useless for troubleshooting the electronics.  I have seen posts indicating that the 170 code is a board issue... but in my case, there are no lights on the LCD at all... just the code is displayed.  I am wondering if this could be caused by the sensor and/or cell being bad.  I probably should replace both anyway, given the age, but i don't want to put a new sensor and cell on this thing if it might get damaged by a bad transformer or main board.  Any advice would be most helpful.  A link to the troubleshooting guide would also be awesome.

Thanks!

1400.png

• 2 years later...