Palin vs Taylor

Poolguy55

I'm a pool operator and look after 30 commercial pools, recently our pool inspectors have switched to the Palin test kit.

Since that switch every pool they go to they get between 8-8.4 PH even though our Taylor kits read 7.4-7.6, I have a Palin myself now and can confirm high PH readings on all samples.

Also combined chlorine seem to be an issue with the Palin.

example: I have a salt pool(hotel), I keep the chlorine between 3-5ppm and got a combined reading of 1ppm using the Taylor DPD titrate, pool inspector got 1.8ppm(Palin) I closed the pool for 2 days, added 20 litres of liquid chlorine and then lowered with 8KG of Chlor-out. After shocking I got .40ppm for combined, inspector got 2.8ppm. So closed again for 5 days and shocked again, I got 0.00ppm after and she got 3.60ppm and closed the pool. Eventually we just drained the pool and refilled and she opened it again.

Any thoughts on the Palin, sometimes it seems ok but others it's way off the Taylor

That health official should verify her results. Is she closing a lot of pools lately? If so, does it seem unusual for her? Does she have a backup system? Sounds like you are spending a lot of money trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing. Could it help to have a conversation with the health department along these lines? Maybe ask them to use a Taylor kit to cross-check?

Yes we had a meeting with them 6 weeks ago. They told us that they have instructed their inspectors to "trust the Palin". Also they told us that the Taylor kits are crap even though that's what they recommend in their pool operators course. I have asked many of the inspectors to double check with their Palin kit and when they do they can't replicate their own readings, for example one test was 1.2ppm for combined and the next was 2.6ppm, but they are right.

pools are being closed all the time due to these knew kits, we have lost contracts and been forced to replace service guys with others as the buildings are losing faith in them.

I have compared the Taylor K-2006 pH against an Oakton pH 5+ meter I calibrated with 3 standard solutions and I can tell you that the Taylor is absolutely accurate.

The problem may be that you have higher chlorine levels and the Palin pH test might not have appropriate chlorine neutralizers in it.  If you add sodium thiosulfate drops to try and neutralize the chlorine, then that solution itself and the reactions with chlorine can lead to higher pH.  Taylor has a special proprietary blend of chlorine neutralizers in their pH reagent so up to around 10 ppm FC their pH will still be accurate.

As for the FC test, you should use the Taylor K-2006 or similar test kit that has a FAS-DPD test since that is by far the most accurate for chlorine testing.  Here again I have tested numerous solutions of chlorine that I standardized and the Taylor always came out very, very accurately -- within the 0.2 ppm resolution of their 25 ml sample size and about 5% of total FC value (Taylor claims 10%, but if you're careful you can usually get to within 5%).

• 3 months later...

For me I would stick with Taylor. They are in the industry for a long time now. So they would have my vote of confidence more than other brands in terms of pool testing kits.

The 2006 kit does the job right on the spot all the time: https://pstpoolsupplies.com/taylor-technologies-k-2006-complete-poolcare-dpd-fas-test-kit/

I bought my kit there and they delivered with free shipping. :)