Winterizing a Hot Springs spa

jetbird

I just purchased an Envoy Hot Springs spa and have not installed it yet. I own a vacation home in wyoming(gets really cold), and plan to the use the tub only a couple months out of the year. I want to be able to quickly winterize the tub, and be able to fill and start using without much effort. My plan is to drain the hot tub using the two drain valves, dry out the inside of the tub, and put small thermostatically controlled heaters; one in the enclosed tub area and one in the pump cavity both set to 50F. Do I still risk freezing if I do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

My Hot Springs Sovereign seems to drain completely except for the heater (I had drained the tub but the heater end caps broke due to ice in them).

The electric heaters you are planning to use should prevent this unless the electricity goes out.

I would suggest that you drain the tub heater (need to disconnect hose). It will probably only add 10 minutes to your shut-down routine.

Also check that the filter "box" and moto-massage "box" is free of water.

After you drain the hot tub, use a wet/dry vac in BLOW mode to blow out the plumbing lines. HS tubs with no-bypass filtration make this step very simple. Pull the filters and remove the plastic filter stems, leaving just the open suction holes. I start with the gray suction that goes through the circ pump and heater. Blow through that fitting and it will blow out all of the water within the circ pump and heater, depositing the water in the tub. Repeat the blow out on the remaining white suction holes. The white suction fittings are PAIRED, so you will have to seal one while blowing through the other. You can use your hand or possibly a rag. Each jet pump will have two white suction fittings. Be sure to rotate any water diverters while doing this blow out to ensure all jet banks get thoroughly blown out.

Vacuum out the water that is in the tub and vacuum each fitting. I like to physically remove the heater return screen in order to vacuum that line better. Finally, I like to add some -50 degree RV antifreeze into each suction fitting and the heater return line. Put a watertight covering over the tub when complete.

John

• 10 months later...

Hi there, I think you should drain the tub heater. I have also heard about professionals who are well trained in winterizing service. Last spring when my friend started his home renovation work and he hired professional movers NYC who provided him winterizing service. According to him, they provided him quality driven service. He also gave them a good tip when the work was done.