new recilrc pump tripping gfi breaker

Brian T

I brought my 2002 Sundance Cameo back up after the summer.  The recirculation pump would quit and get hot after about 30 minutes.  I installed a new pump.  Now when I go back out the next day the breaker has tripped.  Clamp came loose and some water did drip on it while I was installing it.  Could water have gotten in the motor?  I was thinking they are pretty waterproof   I worked on it some yesterday and was able to get it to trip by switching between standard and economy mode.  Breaker would still trip a few seconds after reset.  I pulled the while wire on the pump and still tripped breaker.  I then pulled the black wire and it reset.  Tells me it is shorting to ground sometimes.  Put back together and it ran again.  It will run a while before tripping.  I am thinking of pulling the green ground wire just to see if will run ok without it.  Ozone is discounted and temp turned down so as not turn heater on.  Not sure where to go from here and don't know if they will replace pump.

I set the temp yesterday so and recirc time so pump would not run.  Stayed on all night.  I raised the temp this morning and breaker tripped again when got home.  I pulled the green wire from the pump to see if it will still trip.  I don't think it will.  Pretty sure it the pump but not sure about how to get a replacement?  Could possible be heater but don't think it is.  If it trips again with green wire not hooked up will pull the heater wires and try one more time.  This get fusstrating.

Figured out it has to go through filter cycle 4 before running the recirc cycle so I changed the timer times to go through the cycle 4.  I left the ground wire off the pump and it ran all night.  I do know not to touch the pump like this but run out of idea's to isolate the pump.  The pump must an interment short to ground.  I am going to try to return it.  Sucks when it is an interment problem.  Will go several hours before tripping.  The new pump does have a "Service" tag on it like it had been reconditioned.  Also has the old pump model number on it and though it was going to be the new E10 model.  

Just home and looked at.  Says right on control box three wire system.  There is no connection for neutral wire.  Wiring diagram shows three wires from GFI breaker to tub.  Guess I am going either buy another pump or just give up on tub.  Seems like every year now when bring tub up its something.  Last year blower and year before control panel.  This sucks.

Received new pump and work good now.  Man that was a long couple weeks.  I hate intermittent problems.  All in all this been a good tub.  14 years of use.  Still have original cover.  Just had to glue some new vinyl at the seems.  I need to reconsider shutting tub down for summer.  All problems have been on start up.  I have been using bleach for sanitizer for years but am going to try the bromine tablets in floater.  Bleach has worked good for me but have to add everyday which is one of the reason I shut down for summer when not in use.  Going to do a water change and convert to bromine.  I have city well water which is really soft and very high ph.  Been using Nitro's way to get ph in balance pretty fast.  http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/forum/index.php?topic=12283.0