Algae and larva and mosquito!! in pool

sunny2016

We opened our pool after two years, we moved to our house two years back and last summer did not open the pool. This year we got a pool guy who opened the pool and I explained to him everything, he said he will work with us. So after opening he suggested to shock it, we shocked it almost a month everyday Algae in the pool cleared up to some extend but still could not see the bottom of the pool, so then the pool guy suggested to add Phoshfree but after we stopped shock and put phosfree the pool got worse, and after that I gave up since we already spent $600. Now we just want to close the pool, what chemicals can we add so we can just close it and deal with this next summer since we really can not afford to spend more. I checked estimate of draining the pool which costs $1200 so for now we can not do that.

I am not sure we should drain it ourselves without experts, as its a vinyl pool, 14,000 gallons of water and Sand filter. 

So can we drain the pool and use some chemicals to clean the pool and refill water, I know everyone recommends that we should not completely drain vinyl pool but there does not seem to any other choice.

• 4 weeks later...

An algae-filled pool will neutralize chlorine shock VERY quickly, and everyday shocking would cost a fortune, and likely not work.  Shocking works well as preventative and when algae first appears. I have a 4000 gallon vinyl above-ground pool and a $50 submersible pump from Home Depot, and I have drained the pool practically every other year since I got it in 2000. 

When I had algae when opening up pool one spring, I pumped out 98% of the water, then shocked the rest.  I don't understand the $1200 quote to drain and re-fill.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heard that bleach is used for removing the algae present on the walls. I wonder why can't we use this for a pool. Also, here is an article http://www.sleepwellsecurity.ca/blog/pool/have-a-pool-house-heres-6-things-you-need-to-do-to-keep-it-safe-during-the-off-season/ which I have seen online to keep your pool safe all season. I think it is good to share it here because there are some things you should follow when you are not there in your home in order to avoid such algae formation. Prevention is better than cure.