Does No One Water Test Hot Tubs?

kingjon

I contacted 3 hot tub dealers to wet test the 3 tubs on my short list. The dealers selling Beachcomber and Sundance quickly made an appointment - we're going on Saturday. One sales rep suggested that only 1 in 10 customers actually wet tested. The bullfrog dealer suggested customers normally only wet test when they are ready to buy. Aren't they missing the point? This is our second tub so I would not actually buy one without the wet test. Well, I'm looking for another option now. I had eliminated Arctic Spa from my list because I had read that the insulation isn't as good. I understand now that this is BS based on a study done in Alberta that showed the Arctic Spa's energy efficiency was actually very good. Any comments as to reliability? What about Jacuzzi - I read they had reliability issues in the past. Are they better now? I'm not sure if the US built models can actually compete on price in light of the Canadian dollar being so low.

I appreciate any input.

John

• 3 months later...

I just wet tested Bullfrog R7, Jacuzzi J-365, Sundance Optima. Same showroom.

I liked the layout and jet pressure of the Jacuzzi the best, Sundance seemed to have too many knobs to turn and tweak, and the Bullfrog, which I really wanted to like was a disappointment in terms of jet pressure. I was absolutely convinced I would buy the Bullfrog when I went in but it didn't happen. I am also looking at Dimension 1.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Arctic Spas being built in one of the coldest provinces Edmonton,Alberta has built their spas to withstand the worlds harshest climates where as a lot of the other manufactures are built in warmer climates in the USA and foam fill their spas not being able to utilize the heat motors produce and also being foam filled service becomes an issue if your spa develops a leak. Arctic has gone back to using common sense and have insulated spas like you do your house creating a dead air space concept underneath being able to transfer the heat off their pumps and transfer it back into your water almost making your heater a secondary source of heat.Buy doing this they have also made serviceability very easy as have 8 acres doors on the cabinet to be able to spot and fix problems easily so never a costly repair after warranty. Also this method has been able to make Arctic an upgradeable spa so years down the road if you want to upgrade your spa with new features that have come out over the years you can right in your own back yard.no need to trade in the spa .

And there you have it from either a salesman of Arctic, or a rep from the factory! dang...now I gotta go look at all his posts.

WHERE, well anything, is build has NO BEARING WHAT SO EVER on the climate it can handle...geez, how stupid is that?

Actually, maybe he's not. Houses are insulated in the full foam style.

How do you figure houses are built in the full foam style.That would mean the basement then would be filled completely with foam and therefore having to have your furnace and hot water heater outside just like foam filled spas do have all their electrical equipment either under their steps or inside a cabinet door isolated from the rest of the spa with no insulation protecting it. So guess what freezes first if you have no power going to the spa in the winter. Even coolers are not foam filled are they otherwise how could you put anything into them. Spas foam filled have no way also to be serviced properly or quickly if you ever had a hose or jet body leak.If you actually take the time to study insulation you will find that anything over 4 inches of insulation is a waste as you are already at maximum R VALUE you can have at 4 inches so therefore more is not better when it comes to insulation.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy to calculate the maximum heat recovery from a 24-hour recirculation pump motor.  Let's assume a 1/4 hp motor (186 watts) & 75% efficiency.  That equates to an energy loss (heat) of 46.6 watts ... a bit more than a 40 watt light bulb.  46.6 watts per year would cost about 2$ per month or about 25$ per year (taking electricity costs 0.06$/kWh).  But really, in the summer you don't want that heat since the water gets too hot anyway.  So, I'd estimate you could recover about a maximum of 15$ per year with perimeter insulation - not really very much.

Also, what would stay warmer – coffee in a styrofoam cup with a styrofoam lid or a cup of coffee in a thin plastic cup inside a styrofoam box made from panels of styrofoam of similar thickness. Obviously the first one since the styrofoam box has larger surface area for heat loss and maybe there would be leaks around your styrofoam box panels.

Theoretically, maybe perimeter insulation has advantages, but combined with issues of electronics and motors overheating and the possible inferiority of the insulation itself – it is far from a clear winner. If it was, I’m sure all the other companies would switch.

Or maybe I’m wrong ... show me some math to prove otherwise.