Yellow Staining In Vinyl Inflatable Hot Tub

PhotoGD

A week ago I had green algae in my bromine hot tub. I used algaecide and non chlorine shock. I go out of town for 3 days. I come back, water is bright yellow. I try non chlorine shock again, and yellow-rid. Didn't do a thing for the yellow. I drain hot tub. Vinyl is completely stained yellow (was white). I try rubbing vitamin c on it (ascorbic acid), doesn't even touch it. I try vinyl cleaner from the pool store, no go. I refill hot tub, this time I put a crapton of metal prevent in it and chlorine shock. Let it sit for 2 days. Drain again. Vinyl still yellow. I fill it again. This time I dump two bottles of liquid vinyl cleaner in it, let it sit for a day. Drain it again. Still yellow.

Is there any way at all to get rid of the yellow staining, or do I now have to convince my friends they aren't hot tubbing in pee?

Pics here

https://imgur.com/gallery/S4409

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2016 at 12:31 PM, PhotoGD said:

A week ago I had green algae in my bromine hot tub. I used algaecide and non chlorine shock. I go out of town for 3 days. I come back, water is bright yellow. I try non chlorine shock again, and yellow-rid. Didn't do a thing for the yellow. I drain hot tub. Vinyl is completely stained yellow (was white). I try rubbing vitamin c on it (ascorbic acid), doesn't even touch it. I try vinyl cleaner from the pool store, no go. I refill hot tub, this time I put a crapton of metal prevent in it and chlorine shock. Let it sit for 2 days. Drain again. Vinyl still yellow. I fill it again. This time I dump two bottles of liquid vinyl cleaner in it, let it sit for a day. Drain it again. Still yellow.

Is there any way at all to get rid of the yellow staining, or do I now have to convince my friends they aren't hot tubbing in pee?

Pics here

https://imgur.com/gallery/S4409

One of the things I found very useful was to get some some powdered bromine or chlorine and overdose it and turn on the bubbles and run multiple cycles with the bubbles.  This will generally strip any residual nasties off the side of the tub.  Drain the tub and hose down really good and then refill.   Done this several times this season with my 3 year old Lay-Z-Spa Miami and it seems to work well.  It sure wouldn't hurt to try it.