Free Chlorine Strip Reading On Bromine Based Hot Tub

Sponge

I think you mean the total chlorine and total bromine. According to my meter total bromine is total chlorine times two.

I was referring to free chlorine (but then again maybe that too has a correlation to bromine that I wasn't aware and you were right!).

Total Bromine will measure as Free Chlorine in a DPD or FAS-DPD type of test. The reason is that monobromamine (i.e. inorganic combined bromine) is in equilibrium with monobromammonium ion that may release a positively charged bromine ion that reacts with DPD. Since this is also how this combined bromine is still effective as a disinfectant, it is not necessary to measure true Free Bromine and there isn't an easy way to do that anyway.

The factor of 2.25 applies to any chlorine reading to convert to the corresponding bromine reading though as I wrote you can convert from Free Chlorine to Total Bromine using this factor (a factor of 2 is approximate and reasonable).