Calcium Stearate (White Flakes)

On 9/3/2021 at 3:17 PM, Mduval said:

Update: 

I did a second vinegar purge, this time with 3 gallons of cleaning vinegar for a 390 gallon tub. The first purge I only used 2 gallons which brought the ph down to just below 4, and it didn’t seem to do much except give me smaller flakes (maybe this means it broke them up?). I drained the tub and refilled with fresh water. Then I added 3 gallons of vinegar. 3 gallons brought the ph down to 2. I let it run overnight. I actually forgot to add metalgon so I had some awesome rust stains in the AM, but I was able to clean them with a vinegar solution and elbow grease after the tub was empty. (Lesson— don’t forget to add metalgon!) Purged with ahh-some in the AM. Drained the tub. Then I refilled the tub (added metalgon) and balanced the chemicals. So far, no flakes! I don’t know if what I was dealing with was actually calcium stereate, but the vinegar protocol developed for calcium stereate seems to have solved the problem 🤞 . Maybe it was just calcium build up from my hard water and not actually lubricant? 

Did this truly fix your issues?  We got a brand new Rural Spa last November and had this issue start after a few months.  We were told it was biofilm and did multiple rounds of pool shock.  The flakes got better for a bit, but then had some black flakes too.  ... The black flakes are back and I am so frustrated and anxious about this situation.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images