Hot Tub Water Milky

burt4750

Hi!

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have a 400 gallon Four Winds hot tub. On Sunday I noticed the water was rather milky. On Sunday it was a white opaque color. I tried various methods to clear the water including non chlorine shock, chlorine, enhancer, and clairifier. The chemicals were all fine except for the chlorine (which fluctuates as it does in a hot tub). After nothing helped, I did a plumbing purge overnight then cleaned and refilled the tub. Today, two days later, I open the cover to get in and guess what?? Same milky water. Did a chemical check and all was fine except, again, low chlorine. I am at a loss. Help!!

This is just from my own experience (which means YMMV) but the only situations where I encountered a milky water situation is when my santizer level went to zero and the bad guys started growing. reading your description (chemicals all fine except for chlorine) means to me that chlorine wasn't fine. that means bad guys started to grow in your water and possibly in your plumbing.

My suggestion here is to tell us about your purge process and we go from there. I can say from my experience that I nailed the milky water with an aggressive purge which included elevated CL levels.

• 4 weeks later...

Having read all the topic I am having the same problem with my tub... All the levels are fine, except Cyanuric Acid which is too low.. The water is white and froths when all the jets are on.. getting frustrated to say the least. The tub has been emptied and cleaned and purged. I only use Bromine as I have a reaction to chorine... What can I do now... Ant suggestions, I don't really want to empty the pool again...

is you spa new? did you purge with ahh-some, and if so how much chlorine did you use along with it? by the way, Cyanuric acid will always be low at a fresh fill. it builds as you continue to use dichlor, and by itself is not that important until it gets above 50ppm.

is your water supply particularly turbid? for example have you installed a new sediment filter anywhere in the supply line? do you get frothy water out of the tap as well? I had an experience once with the ordinary sediment filters found at home depot -- the ones that are "rope wrapped" and supposed to be the better of that class of filters. I find that after installing a new one I have to let my tap water run for a while to remove the turbidity introduced by the filter itself.