Cloudy Pool Won't Hold Chlorine

Ok so first time pool owner and I bought a house that had an intex 22x52 above ground pool when I took cover off pool was dark green, so I added 4 bags of hth super shock not realizing they didnt have the cya in them because i didn't really know I needed that. so I have been adding liquid chlorine daily and it will not stay I took water to pool company today to make sure the strips were some what on point and my levels are

fc 0

I think you have so much algae that it is overloading all the chlorine you are adding. I'd buy a pump (under $100) at Home Depot, Harbor Freight, or similar (it will come in handy) and pump out the water and start "fresh". I even cut down a 1-gallon water bottle and made a bailer.

I have had an above-ground pool since 2000, and have had that happen a few times myself, typically on spring start up due to leaves/pollen falling in. The last few years I left uncovered and used net to remove leaves once a week from the pool bottom, and cleaned crap better out of the skimmer basket, and it's been fine. Ready to start the swimming season here (Arizona).

• 3 weeks later...

I think you should start fresh. Drain the complete water out and then remove anything that may qualify as dirt in the pool and fill fresh water and then again look for foreign materials that are floating on the top. take it out with the net and then add chlorine to the water against the risk of algae.

Ok so first time pool owner and I bought a house that had an intex 22x52 above ground pool when I took cover off pool was dark green, so I added 4 bags of hth super shock not realizing they didnt have the cya in them because i didn't really know I needed that. so I have been adding liquid chlorine daily and it will not stay I took water to pool company today to make sure the strips were some what on point and my levels are

fc 0

• 2 weeks later...

Chlorine is only a piece of the puzzle. You need something in the water to help make the Chlorine work correctly. Check to make sure your PH levels are good. PH plays an important role with Chlorine. Not to mention if chlorine can actually make your pool look cloudy, or too much of it anyways. Green is either algae or pollen, and you can tell by how it sits in the water. I would run a vacuum in the pool, automated is best, for a few hours. Once it is clean then you can work on the other levels.

I agree with rkovelman that pH also needs to be monitored. However, instead of liquid chlorine, I would use the pucks. They contain the CYA that you need, however, they also lower the pH dramatically. So, buy some Soda Ash if you buy the pucks and keep an eye on the pH as well. Again, try the Green Away first and follow its directions. If you have a robot cleaner (like a Dolphin), I would use it in conjunction with the main filter. Its like having two filters and does great for removing algae off of vinyl liners. Make sure you clean it every day too.