Hotsprings Flashing Red Light After Heater Board Replacement

Hey guys, I used information from this forum to diagnose and attempt a repair on my HotSprings Landmark spa.

The tub quit getting up to temp and I discovered that the heater relay board was blown out. From info I got on this forum I took it off and checked the back and sure 'nuff, smoke and burning on the back of the board.

The jets and circ pump and everything we're still working on the tub when I took the old board off, the only problem was the water not getting up to temp.

Well I turned the breakers off and waited a few days for the new board to show up.

I installed the new board tonight and flipped the breakers back on and all I'm getting is a flashing red light.

The temp display comes on with 8888 and all of the little icons for a second and then goes blank. No pumps are coming on, no sounds. Just a flashing red light.

The little LED lights for HEATER ON, and LIM ON (I think that's what it says) are no longer on. When the heater board went out, those were still on. Now they're not on at all.

I tried to bleed the air out of the lines, thinking it was airlock, but that doesn't seem to have done anything either.

Any suggestions?

I'm in need of some hot tub jets on my confused body!!

Thanks guys!

If the flashing red led is on the new heater relay board, then you either have a defective new heater relay board, didn't wire up the conductors correctly or didn't set the relay voltage selector on the new heater relay board correctly.

John

Hi John, thanks for the reply.

Before I changed the heater board, the jets and lights and everything still worked. The only issue was the tub wouldn't get up to temp.

Put in the new board and now I get the red flashing light.

I decided to put the old heater board back on to see if the new board is just bad. With the old board on the tub is still just flashing red. No more jets, nothing. Completely inoperable.

I didn't change the relay voltage selector from the 18v it was set to. I saw that 12v was an option but the instructions I saw on installation said not to change it.

As for wiring, I put the same wires back in the same spots except for the H1 and H2 change on the new board.

Is there more wiring, fuses, or anything I need to know that weren't covered?

The tub is 240v so I didn't add the jumpers.

HotSprings Landmark SQ

S/N sq4d1162

Thank you for any advice in advance!

The flashing power light is almost instant.

The control panel screen flashes 8888 where the temperature is usually displayed, as well as all of the other little icons that are on there, it then goes blank and the red power light starts flashing.

The lim light is not on.

The "control unplugged" light is not on.

The only led lights that are on within the iq2020 board is one labeled d17, and another one I believe may be d10 that's up above the heater replay board.

There's an 18v/12v jumper on the board that came set to 18v. Was I supposed to put it on 12v?

It's a 240v tub.

Thanks for any help brother.

That means the thermistors are metering out ok.

On the very, very, very small chance the ozone generator may have an extremely rare failure that effects the high limit, disconnect the ozone generator (if you have one). It sure sounds as though the main board has wet the bed, but you need to confirm. It may be worth it to hook up a new thermistor for giggles before plopping down a few hundred bucks on a new IQ2020

• 2 years later...

I just replaced the heater relay board on my jet setter spa and I too am getting the flashing red light. Tested voltage to heater and showing zero, tested resistance and showing ~12 ohm. Green light next to red is solid green but may go out if I power cycle the spa. Thoughts?

• 1 year later...
On 4/18/2016 at 6:35 AM, n1oty said:

Which red LED is flashing?? Main board?? Heater relay board?? Control panel??? Your post is unclear as to WHICH red light is blinking.

Hey guys, I have a similar situation. My red light that blinks is the control panel red light, everything trips after about 30 seconds. Temp display tries to light up, then nothing. Any advice?

• 4 months later...

Ok guys, I have a similar but different problem. Hot Springs Envoy with the IQ 2020 board. Bought it used and was told it had a bad main control board. Filled it up then powered it up and nothing, no lights no power on no control. I found a complete IQ 2020 control module with both boards inside the black box, and the numbers were identical to mine. The guy said it was a working tub that had frozen and had a number of hidden leaks he didn't want to deal with so he removed the electronics, pumps and heater before trashing the tub. I swapped out the IQ 2020 and it powers up, the circulating pump comes on ,  and the heater kicks in. The little green led  on the circuit board (LIM OK) comes on as well as the red (HTR ON) led. Then after a few seconds those leds kick off and the little red one (D17) comes on. Then the red and green on the control panel start flashing. The circulating pump continues to run with lots of bubbles coming from the floor grill in the tub. I have drained it , took out the filters and refilled it pushing the hose into the neck of the grey capped filter spout. Tried this several times , always the same result. Checked the voltage to the heater (230) and it drew about 17 amps (normal) until the board shuts down. my research pointed towards the pressure switch and here is a head scratcher to me. With the pressure switch removed from the board,  circulating pump off, it reads closed on my meter. Leaving it disconnected and running the pump it still read closed. I then checked the one from the spare heater I bought and it read open (not connected to the tub) So if anything it seems as the pressure switch is stuck in the closed position which shouldn't shut the tub down, but keep it running with no flow. Does anyone know what the D17 led indicates? What else would shut the system down  a few seconds after the heater kicks on? The Limit switches on the heater both read "open" on the unit on the tub as well as the spare.

The sensors are detecting high temps at the heater, usually the result of low flow, usually caused by clogged filters or a faulty circulation pump. 

The sensors can be tested with an ohm meter set on 20k. They should be within a few hundred ohms of each other.

The pressure switch can be jumpered on that board, so do so and eliminate it from the equation.

• 7 months later...
On 10/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, Jerry Thibault said:

Ok guys, I have a similar but different problem. Hot Springs Envoy with the IQ 2020 board. Bought it used and was told it had a bad main control board. Filled it up then powered it up and nothing, no lights no power on no control. I found a complete IQ 2020 control module with both boards inside the black box, and the numbers were identical to mine. The guy said it was a working tub that had frozen and had a number of hidden leaks he didn't want to deal with so he removed the electronics, pumps and heater before trashing the tub. I swapped out the IQ 2020 and it powers up, the circulating pump comes on ,  and the heater kicks in. The little green led  on the circuit board (LIM OK) comes on as well as the red (HTR ON) led. Then after a few seconds those leds kick off and the little red one (D17) comes on. Then the red and green on the control panel start flashing. The circulating pump continues to run with lots of bubbles coming from the floor grill in the tub. I have drained it , took out the filters and refilled it pushing the hose into the neck of the grey capped filter spout. Tried this several times , always the same result. Checked the voltage to the heater (230) and it drew about 17 amps (normal) until the board shuts down. my research pointed towards the pressure switch and here is a head scratcher to me. With the pressure switch removed from the board,  circulating pump off, it reads closed on my meter. Leaving it disconnected and running the pump it still read closed. I then checked the one from the spare heater I bought and it read open (not connected to the tub) So if anything it seems as the pressure switch is stuck in the closed position which shouldn't shut the tub down, but keep it running with no flow. Does anyone know what the D17 led indicates? What else would shut the system down  a few seconds after the heater kicks on? The Limit switches on the heater both read "open" on the unit on the tub as well as the spare.

I have this EXACT same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?  What is that D17 light?

• 1 month later...

I have a hot springs sovereign 2001. We just replaced the heater and the heater relay board. Before replacing the heater relay board all was working except heating up to temp. It was warm but not hot. After replacing the relay board now we have a red light on the circuit board on that we don’t know what it means. The red heater light on the circuit board does not come on. This red light is located about in the center of the circuit board. Can you please help!! 

• 1 year later...