Jandy Lt Heater Won't Start Remotely

tbelcher

My Jandy LT Heater of 9 years has started having problems - namely, that it won't start from the OneTouch remote or the service panel. The OneTouch LED turns red and it appears that the heater is running (but its not). The "heater" light on the service panel also lights up as if its on. No luck.

However, if I push the "spa" button on the LT itself, it goes green and fires up within a minute or two. Any ideas what may be going on here? I've checked the wiring in the AquaLink and it doesn't look loose or disconnected. No spiderwebs or ants, etc. My thinking is that the signal isn't making it from the remote or service panel to the LT "telling" it to fire up.

So how can I check this? I'm assuming that there's a board in the LT that the AquaLink "talks" to. I took the cover off the heater, but couldn't see any connection to check. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

When you connect the heater to automation, the thermostat is left in the on position either pool or spa, and the temp setting is turned all the way up to the maximum setting. What you describe sounds like the heater is getting turned to the off position. This can happen if the power is disconnected from the heater (re-sets to off), or if someone physically turns the heater off. Or there is something going on with the control board.

The extent of "talking" that goes on between the heater and the Onetouch is just a single pair wire that gets connected (heater on) or disconnected (heater off). The Onetouch is making the connection or closing the two wires together making the safety circuit, and allowing the heater to fire.

Thank you for the reply! I'll take a look this weekend, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding. It sounds like the Aqualink signal is just on or off and that it doesn't really check in any way that the signal was received or the heater actually turned on, is that correct? That would explain why the remote panels (both inside and out) show that the heater is on, but it really isn't.

To your point, I believe the heater has been manually turned on/off because of the issue, but I'll try turning it on manually and then turning it off via the remote. By "turned off", I mean the "SPA" button on the LT has been pushed so that its green light goes off. I'll report back here.

If you think of anything else to check, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tim

I was able to get the heater to turn on/off via the outside panel (didn't have access to the inside panel) by:

1) At the outside panel, turning the filter on and putting it into "Spa" mode.

2) Once that was done, manually turning on the heater by hitting the "Spa" button on the heater's panel.

3) Then, when I hit the "Heater" button on the outside panel, it would turn on/off as expected.

4) I then only turned off the heater and filter from the outside panel.

5) I was then able to control the heater from the outside panel whenever I turned on the filter (in other words, it worked as expected)

My questions are:

-Is leaving it this way normal or a problem? I ask because when I turn the filter on, the heater's panel shows a green light for the spa, and the "pressure switch" led blinks red.

-I'm also not sure what happens if I would try to heat the pool (since its LED isn't light at the heater panel). Maybe in my setup it doesn't matter?

I'm attempting to attach pictures to this post as well.

http://imgur.com/a/ohh59

Thanks,

Tim

The connection for the automation is in the same loop as the pressure switch, so yes the pressure switch light will come on and would be normal.

Some connections on that heater could be firmware version specific.

There would be information on it in your owners manual here Pg 21, section 6.5

• 5 years later...

Hi 

I was following the conversation previously as I too am having problems with remotely firing my Jandy Lxi heater. It seems to work locally but is not firing via my Jandy Pda. It says tsat enabled, and on the local heater panel but won't communicate with my aqua link control panel. I notice the heater switch is not turning on as described in the example previously. Please help.