Question About Rh Covers And Others

kincade

I'm in need of a replacement cover, and saw Dr. Spa here is the owner of RH Covers. I'm wondering if he and others could advise on some hot tub cover questions?

I've narrowed it down to RH Tubs, Spadepot, and HotTubWorks covers. There are different options with each, but I've read good about all of them. I"m in a climate where winters can be severe, 1-2' snow, and very hot summers above 100*. This cover is 5 years old, and the top started to crack from sun (even with regular applications of 303), which led to soaking of the interior.

• RH Tubs doesn't seem to offer the reflective shield inside any longer. Was it not worthwhile, did it cause issues? Is it a good upgrade on others?
  • RH offers their 6" to 4" in a 1 or 2 lb density, spadepot in a 5-3 in a 1.5 or 2#, and hot tub works in a 5-3 or 6-4 in 1.5 or 2lb density. Is the choice with thickness and density solely with strength of the cover and insulation value?
  • Not sure what weight vinyl is offered in the hottubworks. RH Tubs is 30oz vinyl. Spadepot is 30oz vinyl or sunbrella, which I'm not familiar with. What grade of vinyl is ideal for the longest lasting?
  • I don't see skirt length listed on any but the hottubworks, which say 1.5" minimum. What are the others?

Regardless I want a double wrapped foam core and the best continuous seal in the center possible.

Thanks for helping me choose between these, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Former owner... sold out and retired almost 2 years ago.

The reflective shield was reformulated by the manufacturer and as such failed miserably for this type of application.

ABSOLUTELY NOT. But strength and insulating ability is effected. Click on the second question on RH cover FAQ here;

http://www.rhtubs.com/covers/spacoverFAQ.htm

Weight (30oz.) is an indication of thickness. Heavier vinyl is thicker. In addition to weight, there's also UV resistance and pigment stability. Both of which as as important, or more, that the weight.

Skirt length is almost ALWAYS something YOU specify when ordering the cover.

Thanks for the comments Dr. Spa. Congrats on the retirement!

Do you think looking to another manufacturer for the reflective shield would be good? Or is it worthwhile at all? Same issues with other reflective shields?

Great information on the link you provided. In my climate what would be your recommendation?

Do you have any comment on Sunbrella as an alternative to vinyl?

There are, or were, some other manufacturers using a different but somewhat similar product. I have no idea though how well it worked, if at all. One I knew of had terrible wrinkling problems.

I always recommended the thickest heaviest density foam you can afford. I'm near San Francisco and easily notice a difference between a 4x2, 1# compared to a 6x4, 2# cover.

Personally, I think sunbrella is EXTREMELY over priced. Yes, it will last "forever", but the rest of the cover will fail long before then, requiring the entire cover to be replaced. There's no pint in having one aspect of the cover last 100 year if the rest of the cover is only going to last 8.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply Dr. Spa. It sounds like staying away from the reflective inner liner is a good decision, and upgrading to a thicker cover is a good decision.

Regarding the sunbrella - it appears that Spa Depot's cover allows one to use that at very little surcharge. My area has a very high sun explosure, and the top of the cover is literally breaking down in the sun and cracking even with regular 303 maintenance. Do you think Sunbrella gives a longer life with high UV exposure?

"It appears that Spa Depot's cover allows one to use sunbrella at very little surcharge"

I'm rather suspicious on this. Sunbrella is nearly 10 times the cost of the normal vinyl used. I've heard that RHT is now offering Sunbrella as an option. You might need to call and ask.

"It appears that Spa Depot's cover allows one to use sunbrella at very little surcharge"

I'm rather suspicious on this. Sunbrella is nearly 10 times the cost of the normal vinyl used. I've heard that RHT is now offering Sunbrella as an option. You might need to call and ask.

DrSpa - I may have miscalculated - it's around $100 more for Sunbrella. May be worth it in my case, but probably not for many others (very high UV exposure here).

RHT is RH Tubs?