Post-Tub Itching Driving Me Insane

sushiboy21

After about four months of use, I developed a nasty all-over body itch the day after using my Bullfrog A7. No rash, just madness-inducing itching everywhere except my head (which doesn't get wet, obviously).

No one else in my family, all regular tub users, has the same problem.

I'm using a bromine system (tablets in a dispenser) and all my chemical levels seem okay. I've been testing regularly.

I did a complete water change in case there was something nasty in the water that was causing the problem but that didn't really help.

I was using the tub every day before this became an issue so I'm wondering if over-exposure made me sensitive to the chemicals.

I'm also wondering if I've developed an allergy to bromine and I'm contemplating another water change and switching to a chlorine system.

Or maybe the water is just really drying out my skin. Slathering up with moisturizer does seem to help.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

I'm using a bromine system (tablets in a dispenser) and all my chemical levels seem okay. I've been testing regularly.

DEFINE OK !

Yes, it could be a developed chemical sensitivity (easy test, change the water, add NO chemicals and use the tub the first evening and the next morning, BY YOURSELF [no one else in the tub] and see what happens).

Yes it could be drying of the skin (Grovers Disease...typically only in people over 50 years old)

Try replacing the bromine in your spa with a NATURE2 spa mineral stick. We maintain a lot of Spas and when people have sensitive skin this is what we recommend. Also want to always make sure your pH levels are within range before entering the spa on each use. Removing bromine from the system will prevent a lot of pH bounce. Hope this helps

Nature II or Frog systems are softer on the skin, as noted by BackyardPoolnSpa, and is a great alternative to bromine. Additionally, Dr. Spa was very astute in recommending the "control" test, limiting variables. Kudos.

A third option could be that you merely need to apply lotion/moisturizer after every use. I have customers who use the tub daily and simply are just drying out. If "daily" means every single day for up to an hour or more, then yes- I dont think there is a chemical system that wont dry you out. And as the others have noted, the itchiness is likely from dry skin and that varies from person to person.

You have many options but doing a "control" test recommended by Dr. Spa would be the logical first step. Switching sanitizers or using lotion would be the second step.

Good luck moving forward and let us know how it turns out.