Hot Tub Pump Repair

Alyssa

My hot tub pump needs a relatively simple repair, from what I'm guessing.

It started leaking slightly, which means one of the seals needs replacing. Now, it is making a high pitched noise, meaning the bearings need replacing.

I've found the kit online for $70, and videos as well on youtube which make it look relatively easy.

Anyone know from experience how much it would cost to have a "pro" do this repair?

Should I just suck it up and do it myself?

• 4 weeks later...

There should be shut off's on either sid eof the motor so you do not have to drain the tub.... otherwise you can drain it (warm weather).

Then ti comes down to loosing the PVC rings, disassemble the wet end from the pump, removing the impeller from the shaft.

The wet end is not too bad assuming you don't break the propeller.

The bearings in the motor means you will have to have it disassembled. That one will depend on your comfort level.

If you are a remove and replace kind of guy you might be better off with new motor/pump assembly.

You could even find a local electrical shop to do the bearings...

A pro will charge 3-400 plus parts.... just getting it out will save on labor if you take the motor to a shop.

Well, my pump motor replacement on my '06 Dreammaker Eclipse didn't go as planned in mid-December. The start switch in the motor was getting stuck in 'run' position and was overheating. The complete pump/motor assembly was $300 from factory. The motor was an Emerson 1.5HP SPL rated motor. SPL = we lied about the ratings. It actually is a 1.0 HP motor. The pump was made by Flo-Master.

I ordered a new 1.0 HP Emerson pump motor and a new shaft seal kit. Broke the wet end down, went great until removal of the impeller. No go, broke it trying to remove it. The impeller was seized to the motor shaft. I am now a week into no hot tub and wife not too happy. I ordered a new impeller. Based off the number on the impeller, it is a true 1.0-HP pump. I ended up using a reciprocating saw, cutting off the old motor shaft in order to reuse the wet end.

A few days later, the new impeller arrived. A design change/revision vs the old impeller. The snout of the impeller that goes over the motor shaft is 1" longer than the old one. The motor shaft is no longer in the water inside the wet end of the pump. The snout extends through the seal and between the motor and wet end. IF this motor fails or if the wet end leaks, I should have no issues I went through.

Bottom line: I spent about $190 to rebuild this pump instead of $325 but had a few issues along the way. The wife is happy, sort of an early Christmas gift. It was Dec 22 when we were able to get back in the hot tub.