Newbie - Hot Tub Purchase

Gman75

We are in the market to purchase our first hot tub. Our existing house came with one which was nothing but repair problems until it started leaking. But it has sat unfixed and unused now for almost a year and we miss it. My budget is around $6500 plus taxes and we live in Southern Ontario. I have been reading other posts and advice and so far the only tubs I found that fit the budget are Nordic Encore MS, Caldera Vanto and Hot Spot Rythym (same as Caldera I think). Both dealers are reputable and price includes delivery, setup, steps, cover, lifter, chemicals etc

I have read about D1 but can't find under $10k, Sundance but $8k, Jacuzzi $8k, Beachcomber which I didn't find a size or layout similar, Artesian no dealer in my area, Bullfrog $8k and Marquis or Acrtic I didn't get a quote yet.

If someone could guide me to the best options in a quality spa for $6500 in my area or let me know what I need to spend to get one.

Looking for around 84x84 or a little smaller, no lounge, open seating, we get pretty bad winters some years and also severe cold in our area. Our current tub runs 220v so don't need a 110v and from what I read I know some extras could be extra insulation, 24 hr circ pump as it is outside our bedroom and a uv or ozone system.

We like the 3 year warranty and generic parts to the Nordic but it does look and feel budget. The Hot Spot looks and feels more expensive with lights and waterfall but shorter warranty and dealer dependent parts are a downside.

Please guide me as my head is getting confused. We don't plan to wet test either. It is mainly just my wife and I that use alone and on occasion another couple or friends kids.

We really wanted a tub with 5 year warranty so we have worry free after purchase.

Thanks

I don't have much info. for you other than I wouldn't bother with the UV or ozone systems. Maybe they will take some $ off for that?

Get a good water test kit and spend a little time in the beginning learning how to maintain your water. It's really easy once you understand it.

Those systems, as I understand it, lead people to believe they can just "fill it and forget it". Read up on what they do and how long they last and how much they cost to replace. Plus you still need the test kit and to maintain your water.

Hoping to go look this weekend. I called the dealer that sells Sundance, Marquis and Bullfrog and he wouldn't even call me. Only email, wouldn't give any prices and when I gave him my budget he said they had nothing under $8k and the tubs I wanted would be more. Very poor service and feel. The dealer for Jacuzzi and Nordic only been open for 7 months in my town and 5 years overall in the province. Local dealer sells Cal spas but haven't heard much about them.

Can anyone guide me?

Wow. Times must be good for them to be offering such poor service.

If I wanted to sell a tub I would pick you up at your house, take you out to lunch (give sales pitch), and then let you soak in a tub or 3 in hopes of making a sale.

Sorry to hear of what should be a fun time turning into a chore.

Jacuzzi makes a good tub, but they may be out of your price range. Don't know anything about Nordic, but I think (???) I've read that they are a decent tub for the money. Don't take my word on the Nordic though as I am really not sure about this one.

I would do a little more research on the Nordic and then go to the two dealers and see how they treat you and what your gut tells you about them. It is definitely not the best that they haven't been in business that long but maybe ask them what got them into the business, what they did before this, etc., etc. Get a feel for them.

It was said in another thread on this forum that getting the right dealer is important and that is absolutely true. You need to be comfortable with who you are buying from. You also want to know they are going to take care of you if anything goes wrong.

And after you've done all this, then make sure you wet test whichever spa you are interested in. It can be the best dealer in the world, but if the spa doesn't feel good once your in it, then nothing else really matters.

The J325 is being quoted $8999 plus tax for the floor model. The only other tubs with a 5 year warranty in the same size with.open seating are Hot Springs Bolt $6999 plus tax again floor model, Hot Springs Glow $8399 brand new ordered. There is also the HS Prodigy but at $10,995 is way more than I am comfortable spending.

Anyone know how the J325, Bolt and Glow compare?