Hotspring Sovreign Unusual Setup

JKM

I bought my 2004 Hotspring Sovreign about 7 years ago. I bought it used and the wiring was cut away from the spa so I didn't know if it would work at all. I bought it at a very good price and had it hooked up according to the manual. I noticed the main pump motor kept overheating. When I looked into it, it turns out that I had a Wavemaster 9000 jet pump which is a 230 volt motor. The documentation says that it should have been a Wavemaster 6000 which is a 115. I ended up purchasing an AO Smith pump and installed it myself. I kept the original 9000 pump since it was in near perfect condition. The 6000 motor never really pumped enough water to get the jets really going.

Fast forward to this month. My breakers needed to be replaced so I called my electrician to come and fix it. While he was here, I thought I would put the old pump back on and see if I could get it working. When I looked at the wiring it made no reference to a Wavemaster 9000 pump. I couldn't find any reference to it in the manual at all. I'd like to get this pump wired up correctly. Does anyone have experience with this model? Mine is definitely a Sovreign but it looks like it's equipped with a Highlife jet pump.

Thanks.

-Joel

The sovereign came in two different flavors. There was indeed a 240v only Soveriegn in 2004 (Model II), that came with a wavemaster 9000 pump (instead of the Wavemaster 7000 that came in the 120v/240 convertable Model I).

It's 240v, so you'll need two 240v GFCI breakers in the subpanel. Look at the schematic on the inside of the IQ2020 control box cover for MODEL II (that's two i's) not model I (single i)

Good luck!

...also, if the 9000 was overheating but the 6000 works fine and it is indeed a 220v only Sovereign model II then it's possible that it's wired wrong and the pump is only getting 110v.

Check to see if it says Sovereign I or Sovereign II on the model number inside the compartment then compare to the same wiring diagram on the box cover.

It's definitely a Sovreign I from the serial number but i also definitely has a Wavemaster 9000, so I'm thinking this model was just mislabeled at the factory. I do remember the previous owner saying something about the jet motor not working so he probably had the same problem I'm having. I'm sure the pump will work fine if I can get the jumpers set correctly. Does anyone know how they need to be set to run the larger motor? This picture shows how they are set now.

My GFCI breakers are set up correctly. I have a 20 and a 30

Thanks.

-Joel

A sovereign I converted to 220v has 4 wires going to the terminal board and the jet pump runs on 110v. The Sovereign II has 5 wires and the jet pump runs on 220v. So it's not just a matter of moving jumpers, they are wired differently.

Yes. I am having the electrician set up the wiring correctly according to the diagram. Will I need to set up the jumpers differently to get the correct power to the jet pump motor or will it be ok as it is?