1992 Prodigy 110V Tripping House Gfci

RandySea

I've done a searching and read a lot of posts. I think my problem may be a little different.

I moved this spa to a friend's house in January. It had been working fine for me, but I moved. He already had wiring in place from another 110v Hot Springs Spa, one model larger. That spa had started leaking through the shell, but otherwise was working for years.

We plugged the Prodigy in and it worked for several months. Then he drained it for a while and left it with just a foot or so of water. (Probably irrelevant, but part of the history.)

When he decided to start it up again, the gfci off the main panel in his house immediately popped. Plugging in a light to the outside socket where the spa plugs in worked fine. The gfci on the spa power cord does not trip. Nor does the main breaker inside the panel for this circuit.

Any thoughts before he calls a service tech?

He also has a choice between a spa repair company and the original dealer. He wasn't satisfied with that dealer's service on his original Hot Springs Spa, but we don't have any experience with the independent one.