Chlorine Reducer.

robquick

Evening,

Occasionally my Chlorine levels are 3-5ppm when I come to use the tub, in hindsight I'm guessing this is really too high for bathing. I thought one solution would be to use Chlorine reducer prior to bathing if the Chlorine levels were high.

A couple of questions -

How quickly does 'reducer' take to work ?

If you ended up using too much reducer would you then need to use more Chlorine than usual after bathing...........or does it not work in that way ?

Does Chlorine reducer have any other effect on the water other than just reducing Chlorine levels ?

Thanks.

You should just be able to add a little less chlorine after your soak so that you start with 1-2 ppm FC before your next soak. That would be the easiest thing to do. If you really want to lower the chlorine level, then you can use 3% hydrogen peroxide for that where you would use the same volume of it as the volume of 6% bleach that has the FC amount you want to lower. You can use PoolMath to calculate that volume.

As Dr. Spa says, there's nothing wrong with 3-5 ppm FC for a soak. Some people prefer to soak in a lower level of chlorine mostly to avoid as much chlorine/chloramine smell, but it's not unsafe.