My Tub Has An Ozone Apparently, But Where And What Is It? (Freeflow)

drewskie

I have been out of the tub scene for a while, but recently picked up a Freeflow Passport spa, and have been happy with it so far. It's a 200 Premier Model, and according to the manual which is otherwise useless, the tub has an Ozone Jet that comes on periodically to clean the tub. The manual does not say where it is, or anything like that. Also, on my control box, there is an ozone label, with a separate wiring coming from it, but I have no idea where it leads. Is this "ozone" just a marketing gimmick, or is there something actually there that does some sort of cleaning? Thank you like always everyone.

Your spa likely has an ozonator. It most likely is a corona discharge (CD) model that basically creates sparks in the air to create ozone and this air with the generated ozone is then injected into the water and into the spa.

Chem geek, it's a pleasure to see you still on here and helping people out, honestly. You as well preserved swine. Thank you both very much. If I have the ozonator, I would see a separate "box" or something similar right? There's nothing in the component compartment. I picked up the tub used, so I am not sure if the previous owner installed the ozone generator or not.

To piggyback on what the other two esteemed posters have said- The ozonator (if indeed attached) likely will only last (approx.) a year or so. Thus it may not even be functioning if your tub is older. Additionally, the ozone generator injects O3 into the water and kills about 20% of the bacteria in your spa, thus allowing you to use less chemicals. It is an assistant to your water chemistry, ala your filtration system.

• 5 years later...

I have a 2009 Freeflow Passport and the Ozonator Jet is just below the light and above the mesh looking drain(?).  It does exactly what was said, it sporatically creates a large array of 'bubbles' which I assume is the ozone being created. I'm surprised mine still works after the tub has been in storage for 10 years and after just hooking it up, she's still working.  

On 10/5/2021 at 7:04 PM, wxviewer64 said:

it sporatically creates a large array of 'bubbles' which I assume is the ozone being created. I'm surprised mine still works after the tub has been in storage for 10 years and after just hooking it up, she's still working.  

Yeah I hate to tell you - ozonators generate ozone using coronal discharge (essentially a small spark of electricity).   The ozonator unit generates this spark of ozone and is then sucked into the water using something known as a mazzei injector which sucks air into the water as it passes through the "injector".  This is what's creating air bubbles, not the ozonator unit.

See the source image

Important to note - massei injectors are known to fail and eventually start leaking.  That's why many ozonators include a fresh mazzei injector with the kit.

• Like 1