How Long Can I Winterize My Pool

macgd016

As the water warms up, the risk for algae growth increases. It would be better for you to open up earlier when the water is colder. If you don't do that and get an algae bloom, you can deal with that though it will cost more in chlorine to get rid of it. It's far less expensive to prevent a problem than to fix one.

• 5 months later...

As the water warms up, the risk for algae growth increases. It would be better for you to open up earlier when the water is colder. If you don't do that and get an algae bloom, you can deal with that though it will cost more in chlorine to get rid of it. It's far less expensive to prevent a problem than to fix one.

Hey I was going for the exact same thing. With increase in temperature the risk of algae rises. I would like to add something here not only will the pool become green or black, it will rather smell badly. And Black algae is the most difficult to deal with and hence you should open up your pool a little sooner to avoid the whole routine.

If you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio and have decent circulation, you won't get green or black algae, period. If the FC/CYA ratio is 7.5% or higher, then chlorine will kill algae faster than it can grow regardless of algae nutrient (phosphates or nitrates) level and temperature.

The FC/CYA ratio is proportional to the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level).