Can I Pour A Thin Layer Of Concrete Over Pavers To Level A Spa Foundation?

I just had my old hot tub removed, and am having a new one delivered. One problem is that the pavers that were the foundation for the previous hot tub (which was here when I bought the house ten years ago) have sagged about a half inch in the middle. One person suggested just pouring some quickcrete over the pavers (I am planning on using the patio mud version) to level the area. I think this should work because the previous hot tub probably packed the ground underneath the pavers, but the layer of quickcrete would be pretty thin (1/2 inch, but that's ok according to the instructions on the quickcrete bag).

Has anyone in this forum ever tried this? It seems like a fairly unique situation.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't shim a hot tub...if you do, "expect" the shell to crack. If the pad is not against the house or some other structure, you want it level. It's small enough that most all the water will run offf, and the little that may not, will soak right through the naturally porus concrete.

• 11 months later...

I agree with 4free, I too think you should remove the pavers or just add paver sand to the low spots. Yeah Its true, Adding Quickrete will be messier and harder to the level, even to fix in the future if it gets out of the level again. Before planing any new thing you should contact to some professional contractor like Paving Frederick, MD, or should take some helpful hints from their site.

On 11/9/2015 at 10:34 AM, Dpwct said:

I'm pouring a 5" inch slab 11'x9' for my hot tub i want pitch on the slab so rain water drains, I expect I will shim my hot tub.

What pitch should I have for the slab - (over 11 feet)

You won't hurt anything if the hot tub isn't level. I set my spa on a pre-existing slab under a covered porch, one side of the five foot wide tub is an inch lower than the other. The pumps and motors don't care if they are level or not.

• 9 months later...

Yeah, I agree with your thoughts on using Quickcrete - but only for the quick fix. Hence the name. Try calling a few paving contractors in the area and see what they say. Take advantage of their free estimates! I do go into more detail on these things in my paving tips if you want to check more out about this kind of stuff. Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...

I have a 20-year old flagstone courtyard patio with a tree in the middle that I want to pour concrete over to create a faux quartzite look. Has anyone poured concrete on top of flagstone and can it be done without cracking the new concrete slab? The site is in the desert so if anybody knows if this can be done, please advise.