Bio Mold In Marquis Spa

mjmiller427

I bought a used/refurbished hot tub a year ago. No problems for the past year at all. Kept chemical levels good and drained/refilled every 3 months. None the less I developed biomold and it seemed to happen overnight. I used two rounds of Spa Purge (drained and refilled after each round) and there was definitely a good amount that loosened up and drained out. Before refilling again I used a shop vac to suck water out of each jet. I also used the shop vac in reverse to blow the jets out. Problem is every time I do this more and more biofilm comes out of the jets. It seemed the Spa Purge worked as far as loosening it up but even after draining it seems it's still sitting in my pipes. Do I keep doing spa purge's and draining until it's all gone? Does biomold get to a point that I can super shock it to kill it? I'm losing my mind trying to figure it out. To me it seems like even when draining the water since the jets aren't running obviously some water containing the biomold just settles back in!

Use Ahh-Some instead of Spa Purge. It is more effective so will remove more each time so will take less water change cycles to remove all the biofilm.

Also, you may not be maintaining proper levels of disinfectant if you keep getting more biofilm.

I will try Ahh-Some purge but it seems like the Spa Purge was working as far as looseining up the biofilm. Let me run this by you. I did 4 rounds of SPA PURGE and dumped 4 different times which means I've dumped 600 gallons of water containing biofilm out. Each time I dumped the hot tub I also took a shop vac and suctioned each jet (all 46 of them) out. I than filled up and did Nitro's decontamination method. I balanced the water, bleached it, opened up all of the jets, ran it for an hour and than dumped it. I completely cleaned the hot tub and cover and filled it back up today. I was preparing to start my chemical cycle(balance and add sodium bromide to start a reserve) when I noticed that when I turned my jets on more biofilm came out filling the tub as if I did NOTHING to it!! My question is if I see the biofilm floating is that still an issue OR am I to the point where my chemical cycle and sanitizer will kill whats left? To be clear since I noticed the biofilm and dumped the hot tub I have not even gotten to a point where Ive been able to fill and sanitize it for use and keep the chemical levels steady because I see biofilm floating every single time I fill it and hit the jets. I'm going nuts!

I already told you that Ahh-Some is more effective so will remove much more bio-film than Spa Purge. Did you not believe me? Read Seaklear Vs Ahh-Some Test Results and Spa Purge Product Shootout -- 2Nd Experiment. You need to buy Ahh-Some and use it, including running the jets when it is in the water. Until you do that, you may continue to have problems.

It certainly wasn't that I didn't believe you just frustrated....I purchased Ahh-Some the night of your last reply and used it the next day...two cycles of Ahh-Some and my hot tub is sparkling...if anyone needs any more convincing of what product to use this is it...I had hot tub techs tell me it's the worst case of biofilm they've seen and two runs through of Ahh-Some knocked it out....thanks for the advice Chem Geek

• 1 year later...

biofilm is  your enemy.  the only way to get rid of biofilm is an effective purge, and those of us who have experimented with purge products have all come to the same conclusion -- ahh-some is more effective than the others.    read the references listed above by chem geek -- I am the author.of those experiments and have documented my experimental results in great detail here:

http://boisediesel.com/blog/2016/7/spa-purge

There are links in the above that go into detail re:  what biofilms are.  purging is not an easy magic pill -- it takes work and sometimes alot of patience.  multiple purges are often required. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2015 at 1:49 AM, mjmiller427 said:

I bought a used/refurbished hot tub a year ago. No problems for the past year at all. Kept chemical levels good and drained/refilled every 3 months. None the less I developed biomold and it seemed to happen overnight. I used two rounds of Spa Purge (drained and refilled after each round) and there was definitely a good amount that loosened up and drained out. Before refilling again I used a shop vac to suck water out of each jet. I also used the shop vac in reverse to blow the jets out. Problem is every time I do this more and more biofilm comes out of the jets. It seemed the Spa Purge worked as far as loosening it up but even after draining it seems it's still sitting in my pipes. Do I keep doing spa purge's and draining until it's all gone? Does biomold get to a point that I can super shock it to kill it? I'm losing my mind trying to figure it out. To me it seems like even when draining the water since the jets aren't running obviously some water containing the biomold just settles back in!

This seems to be what you want as that other product you used didn't do the job... The stuff you want is:
 AHH-SOME.

Read this!

http://boisediesel.com/blog/2016/7/spa-purge