Power Cord.

dennyjr

Hello, I'm new to this site and new to hot tub ownership. I got a hot tub this weekend and it needs a new power cord. It's a smaller tub that plugs into a regular 110 outlet. My question is can I just buy a 14 gauge 3 wire extension cord and cut the female end off and wire it to my tub or do I need to spend the big money for a hot tub cord?

Thanks

If it's a 15, you can do that. If it's a 20 Amp spa, you might get away with it, you might not. It dependent on the legnth of the wire from your breaker, to the outlet. All freeflow's are 15, so you shold be just fine. Be aware, that even 15 Amp spa's use every bit of amperage on the line. So if the spa is running, and you turn on an appliance on the same circuit, it may blow the breaker.

~Enjoy

NO on the 16.

Two factors determine wire size. Amp draw, and length of the run. The shorter the better. The larger the better, but there comes a point where bigger than big enough, doesn't help. A short (6 foot) 14 guage extension is better than a 100Ft 12 guage extension. The 16 guage extension will eventually either overheat and melt, or cause premature failure of spa components. A short 12-3 extension cord would be the best option.

• 2 years later...