Flashing Tempature On Display

john2049

Hey everybody,

Thank you in advance. I have a 2006 dream maker spa x400. I noticed when I hoped in today it was a bit cooler. I looked at the display and noticed it was flashing at 60 degrees. (Lowest number temp. Gauge reads) after a few unplugs on spa, and of the control panel, I was still getting the same thing. When I powered panel back on I noticed it jumped to 97 degrees, which seemed like about the correct tempature the water was. The panel immeiately starts falling in temp, flashing, until it hits 60. The pump did come on while I was out there, which was interesting. I could, if pressed quickly, hit the up button and get the flashing temp to rise, but would instantly fall back again. The other buttons (pump/light) weren't responding. But when the pump auto turned on the pump button did light up. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-John

Update. Heater is fine. Luckily. It is heating at the default tempature of 100. It is just the control panel that keeps flashing down to 60 degrees. One time after a few power cycled I got Sn code (non functional high tempature sensor.) at which point I took out my filter (pretty dirty and needed to be swapped) and after another power cycle worked fine for about 24 hours. Now I'm back to keeping at 100 with flashing display. New filter coming Monday, not like that matters though. I also replaced display panel about a year ago and all buttons are still fine. Any ideas?

If it's setting itself down to 60, the temp down button may be defective on the control head, needing another new control head. Or, the problem may be the circuitboard.

Also, while the temp may be staying at 100, that may just be from the spa running and filtering. Your spa doesn't have a heater, it heats from friction of the water, and heat generated from the pump. If it's flashing 60, it's set at 60.

One way to find out if it's a bad control head, or bad circuit-board, is to unplug the topside, and power up the spa. Wait a minute or two, and, carefully, plug the topside back in (without shocking yourself!) and quickly see if it has set itself lower. If it's already at 60 when you plug it in, bad circuit board. If it begins running from 100 to 60 when you plug it in, bad topside.

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

I have an Aquarest AR-400 spa and am experiencing a similar issue. I believe the same hot tub is sold under both Aquarest and Dreammaker brand names, though I could be mistaken.

I recently had the pump replaced because it had gone bad, and once I filled the hot tub back up I experienced essentially the exact same issue reported here. The temperature down button was basically "stuck" and so the tub wouldn't heat up. In my case, however, after unplugging and plugging back in 2 or 3 times, that situation shifted a bit and now the temperature gauge is not stuck...but the light on/off button is. Subsequently my hot tub has heat up to the max temperature of 104, but the LED lights are constantly toggling on and off. 

The repairman who replaced the pump for me indicated after I sent him a text that this is almost certainly the main circuit board or the top control panel, so I was hoping someone here could help me determine which of the two parts it is. I'm fairly handy and technically inclined, and I have a basic degree in electrical engineering (so I'm not afraid of checking voltages and what not on the boards), but I'm not familiar with hot tubs specifically or where/how to check each of these parts. Any technical data sheets or pointers would be appreciated!

• 2 years later...

I just experienced the same issue (Balboa VL20 topside controller) where the temperature was 'scrolling' up and down between 60 and 104. I removed the head and main controller was holding the default temp of 80 (fortunately in Canadian winter). I noticed some corrosion at the base of the temp button, where the plastic stem meets the contacts. I was able to remove the plastic stem (after talking off the faceplate and the cover) and applied some contact cleaner. Once that had dried, I put it all back together and she's back to normal! Not too impressed with the design, especially given that its a very wet area so I'm anticipating a similar issue down the track but I avoided the new $300 controller for now.