Troublshooting Pump And Gfci

silasrye

I have a problem with my spa pump tripping the 50amp GFCI breaker.

I have been through everything I can think of with this spa. It has 2 2 speed pumps, one which

connected to the filter and heater (pump 1) and one that is attached only to some jets (pump

2). Both pumps are identical, new 2 speed 240V pumps. I have also recently replaced the

heater, ozonator, and GFCI breaker. I have a Balboa MAS225 control board.

Pump 1 runs on schedule because it is used to filter and heat, it comes on as soon as the hot

tub is started up (breaker turned on). Pump 2 only comes on when you turn it on using the top

control panel.

Pump 1 will trip the breaker about 5-10 seconds after starting the spa. However, if I take the

filter out and open the filter can, it will run with out tripping, so it seems that maybe it is

pulling to much current. I have looked for any clogs and have determined all the pipes and

tubes to be clear.

A strange mystery is that if I turn on pump 2 as soon as the breaker is flipped on and the tub

is starting up, the breaker won't trip. The second I turn off pump 2, pump 1 trips the

breaker.

If I unplug the pump 1 from the control panel, all is fine. If I switch the wiring for pump 1

and 2, pump 2 will come on automatically and run as if it were the filter/heater pump and won't

trip the breaker. While it is running I can turn pump 1 will run just fine.

I've even switched the pumps via plumbing, and it dosen't matter, the pump that is connect to

the filter and heater will trip the breaker, unless the other pump is on, or unless I open up

the filter canister (I also have a new filter).

Does anyone have any clue what could be the problem? I already wasted $110 on a new GFCI that

didn't solve the problem and I don't want to buy a new control board only to have that not fix

the problem, and besides, I'd like to try to replace a control board component if possible. At

this point it seems all that's left is the transformer or the control board. I also don't think

its any relays as switching the wiring doesn't switch which pump is causing the problem.

I'd appreciate any help, or even guesses.

Thanks!