Pool Green?

Krissy

I have a 4ft deep 5,000 gallon quick set hard plastic siding pool and the water is green. I use 1inch chlorine tablets that sit inside the filter, and I use a regular weekly shock to keep it blue. So far the pool shock works great. However, I have been told I need to start using an algae preventer / killer so I bought this stuff called Clorox Xtra Blue that is a algae killer, preventer, and shock all in one. My problem is I suck at math and can't figure out basic directions. The bottle says to sweep the pool whatever that means? And then it says to add 1Lb to a 12,000 gallon pool but my pool is only 5,000 gallons. So how much do I use? A little below half a bottle or is that to much? Also after adding do I re sweep? Or do I need to vaccum? The pool is pretty easy to keep up, and not hard to maintain just don't understand the directions to the new stuff I bought? Umm help? And if the shock stuff has chlorine do I still use the tablets inside the filter? And if I use that shock say Sunday, when is it safe to add something else? Like on the following wednesday? The bottle says if mixed with anything a violent reaction could occur so how long do I wait? I have never owned a pool, and I don't have test strips. I basically guess and when the water is blue I get in. Haven't had a problem yet from doing that. Lol

You should get a proper test kit and learn how to manage your pool by reading the Pool School. If you are just guessing at what to do and going by color and appearance, then why ask questions for help. You either want to do it right or you don't.

For chemical additions to the pool, generally wait for the first one to circulate before adding the second one. In most pools 30 minutes is enough time between additions if you are adding chemicals slowly over a return flow in the deep end with the pump running. You should then lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool where you add chemicals.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Visit http://www.aquapoolguide.com/pool-supplies/ to learn what you need. It might cost some money but it will save you time and headache down the road. After that you can go to http://www.aquapoolguide.com/pool-chemistry/ to learn about chemistry.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That means algae has temporarily taken over, and you'll need to thoroughly clean and treat your pool before you can start swimming.

Test your swimming pool water. Use a chemical test kit to test the chlorine and pH levels and determine the extent of the problem. When chlorine levels drop below 1 ppm, it can cause algae to grow in the pool, turning the pool water green. When this happens it is necessary to "shock" the water with chemicals to kill the algae and return the pool to normal chlorine levels.

Balance the pool chemistry. Before treating the pool, balance the pH by adding either an acid or a base to bring the level to just around 7.8. This is at the high end of the range you would normally want in your pool, but that's necessary when you're treating it for algae.

Make sure the filter is working properly. Clean out any leaves, sticks, and other debris that may be clogging the filter. Backwash the filter if necessary and make sure it is working well before you add chemicals to the pool to kill the algae.
Scrub the sides and bottom of your swimming pool. Use your pool brush to scrub the pool well before adding any chemicals to the water. Algae clings to pool surfaces, but scrubbing will remove it.
Treat the pool with pool shock. Pool shock has high levels of chlorine that wipe out the algae and sanitize the pool. Choose a powerful shock with around 70% available chlorine, which is enough to handle tough algae and bacteria.
Treat the pool with algaecide when chlorine has fallen below 5.0. Allow the algaecide to work in your swimming pool for at least a 24-hour period.
Prevent pressure buildup in your filter by cleaning it often to remove the dead algae. When algae dies, it will fall to the pool floor or float in the pool water. It will also lose its green color.
Vacuum up the dead algae left behind in your swimming pool. Use your brush to clean the bottom and sides of the pool again, then vacuum up all the dead algae.
Run the filter until the algae is gone. Your swimming pool water should be crystal clear after treatment