Advice On Refurbishing 2001 Hot Springs Vanguard. What To Do *before* 1St Fill?

TimRegan

Hi all,

I recently took a chance on paying to move a free 2001 Hot Springs Vanguard. The owners said the “pump and heater” were replaced in the “last few years.” They also said there was a small leak from a “pump or hose.”

I figured as long as it’s drained I might as well do a few replacements/repairs that are likely culprits for the leak. Reading around it seemed like the pump is a likely source, so I though I’d just look to see which pump --- circulation or jet --- was recently replaced, and then go ahead and replace the other one (figuring it was probably due after 14 years.)

But, looking inside, neither pump seems particularly new, and both pumps match the specs on the original spa: a Wavemaster 9000 jet pump and a Silentflo 5000 circ pump. I do think the heater was replaced but more like 7 years ago than “a few.”

So this raises some questions:

- any thoughts on either pump as a more likely source of a leak? I read that a new pump seal is a good, cheap first fix for a potential leak but I’m not sure which pump or how to find the correct seal for these older pumps.
- any advice on a general strategy for repairs or tune ups to do *before* I get this thing wired up and filled up? Or do I need to just get it running and then try to diagnose any issues?
- any other obvious red flags you can see in the pics below (hopefully clickable thumbnails)?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2015_07_14_15_35_58.jpg

2015_07_14_15_49_43.jpg

2015_07_14_15_36_45.jpg

2015_07_15_14_03_48.jpg

Thanks for spotting the date on the heater. Given that it's a 2001 model spa I guess the original heater didn't last long, or it was replaced later with an older heater.

I certainly don't want to replace parts unnecessarily. I was just wondering if there was any common repair or tune up that I should do before filling---especially anything with the jet pump since it seems like that's the only part that can't be serviced with a full tub. But it may well be that there's nothing to do but fill it and see...

The circulation pumps last around 7-12 years, yours is getting close if it hasn't been replaced already. The design change to the E-5 in 2009 means your circ pump is either original, or was replaced in 2009 or before.

The heater circuit board was prone top failure, but if yours is working, don't replace it. There isn't any preventative maintenance. Nothing needs lubing. Keep your filters clean, and your water chemistry balanced :)