Air Valve Leaking How To?

I have a leak on my topside air valve and wonder if anyone could advice how I fix.

Now this only drip leaks underneath into the cabinet when I splash a little water onto it. (So it's not a jet problem causing water to spray out the air pipes thankfully)

I think it's purely the seal/gasket where the diverter fits into the shell. Splash some water on the acrylic around the valve and you see water run round the threads underneath inside the spa cab then start to drip.

So how do I re-seal it? There's a nut underneath inside the cabinet. Does that need taking off to allow some movement for putting some sealant in?

If anyone could explain what I'm sure is a simple fix that would be brilliant?

1. Brand, year and model of spa?

2. "So it's not a jet problem causing water to spray out the air pipes thankfully". Ahhhh, actually, probably this IS the problem. The air valve is plumbed to the jet. The jet pulls air through the air air valve. The only way water could come up through the air valve is if the jet is malfunctioning, no longer pulling air through, and forcing it back up the pipe out of the valve (the water isn't crawling up there all by itself).

It's about 10 yrs old Dr...don't know what make/model.

Just to confirm tho guys there's NO leak or water coming up or out of the diverter. The leak is only happening when I splash water on the top of spa.

Only found this problem because I'd had a new topside panel fitted and was splashing water on that to check for leaks. That is when I noticed the diverter also leaking but ONLY when I soaked the area (diverter is next to the topside?

Cheers for help thus far

Ok, so the valve itself isn't leaking. Water is simply seeping past it, or through where it penetrates the shell. It's probably ALWAYS done this, as it's not typically an area that's considered needed to be "waterproof". Typically there would be a gasket on the topside to prevent water "leakage"...but it was probably left off as considered not necessary. Tightening the nut probably wont help any, though it may crack and make things worse. I'd loosen the nut, lift the valve slightly and put some silicone under it, then retighten the nut & clean up the excess silicone.

Cheers Dr spa.....

Done just that. Loosened the nut which gave me minimal gap to get a bit sealant in there. Under the gasket was full of muck and grit/dirt so gave it a little clean up first best I could. It says 12 hours till sealant fully cured, so will give it a test later. Unfortunately the air valve is situated right above the spa pack....so a leak here is not good as its dripping right on top of pack!

Now another question if I may? Under both air valves there is a manifold on each with i think 4 or 5 pipes coming off each. Should all these pipes coming off these be soley for the purpose of air? As it seems 1 or 2 of them are carrying water. I do have 1 or 2 jets that seem to be stuck and will not turn either way and 1 where it turns slightly but the middle bit doesn't spin.

All my jets are 10yrs old so I'd imagine some diffusers need replacing. If they won't turn how are you supposed to remove to change the out?

Thanks again for help.....people like you deserve a medal for the help you give us mere mortals ha...

Bummer!!!! The air valve is still leaking when I splash water around it...argggg!! Maybe the sealant I used is a bit poor or maybe didn't get enough in there.

Can anyone tell me would Magic Lube (blue bottle) be a good product to use to seal this gasket/Valve from seeping through the shell hole??

I have some you see but wasn't sure if it's just a lubricant or does it act as a good sealant too??

Thanks Chris

• 5 years later...