Need Help Choosing New Pentair Or Hayward Pump

aGrandma

I would like to buy a variable speed pump that is quiet and energy efficient, with a digital display/timer. When I go to the Pentair website they have several different ones to choose from but I don't know which one is right for my pool. I have a 18,000 gallon inground gunite pool. It is salt chlorinated, not heated, and there is no spa attached. The pump I have currently is hayward 3/4 hp. A neighbor with a pool told me they love their new Pentair brand, but I would also be open to a Hayward brand. Any advice on which is proper for me?

So far 107 people have viewed my original post but no replies! Yikes.

I've been doing my own research and decided on the Pentair Intelliflo VS pump Model number 011018. When I search for it on the Internet the price ranges from $850 - $1300 - that is for the pump hardware only, not for installation. (A difference of $450!!) I asked a pool repair person and they told me they would buy from their "distributor" who can't match internet prices, but also that if I buy it myself the installer cannot return it if it's got a problem and he cannot warranty it.

I assume the manufacturer has a warranty.

Does anyone else have any advice on this subject for me? Should I buy off the Internet and have someone install it for me? Or have an installer buy from their distributor or a brick-and-mortar store at the inflated prices? I'm just trying to make an informed decision before this big purchase.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I bought the Pentair Intelliflo 011018 pump through the Internet and got it for $850 delivered to my home. I arranged for a professional installer to change out the pump for me for $225. Now I have the full warranty, am getting a rebate from my electric company, and it works great. I can't believe how quiet it is.

• 2 weeks later...