De Filter Leaks At Seam

I cleaned my filter grids last week, put it all back together, and the thing leaks at the seam.

It's a Jandy DEL60. I replaced the O-Ring about six months ago for the same problem. Those things are expensive, and I don't think I should need 2/year.

I feel like if I tighten the clamp any more, it's going to explode. There is a lot of torque on the belt.

Is this normal?

The instructions say to "use a 9/16" socket on the tightening nut until the clamp ring halves touch each other, or are within 1/16" (See Fig. 6) but do not overtighten as the clamp can break. If unable to tighten as indicated, do not operate the filter and call a service technician immediately."

I guess I need to tighten more, but geez!

There is no need to use lubricant on the o-ring. Lubricant on an o-ring is for a sealing surface that moves on the o-ring like in the case of a screw on type pump lid, not when the two surfaces are static and merely come together.

The surfaces that the o-ring touch do need to be free and clean of debris or D.E. build up. That is what would cause water to pass. A crack in the tank near the band clamp would also do this. If you used genuine Jandy/Zodiac parts, the o-ring shouldn't leak at that age unless the band clamp had been previously over tightened, and/or has developed a flat edge.. The o-ring, however old, should be free of flat edges if they are to be leak free. If the o-ring does have a flat edge, there will be a risk of it leaking, and no extra tightening of the clamp will fix this.

Thanks for the info. I did use a genuine Jandy oring. I did make sure everything was clean. I did use a little lube, it was Leslie's pool lube (your explanation makes sense that I don't need to use it though). I tightened it a little more last night, still leaking. I'm guessing that if I tear it down, the o-ring is D shaped, I guess I'll just order one now. Need to fix the leak!

Thanks for your replies!