Hot Springs Grandee 1995, 20Amp Breaker Trips

Hi,

I am running into a problem with my vintage 1995 Hot springs Grandee G.

The 20amp breaker (not the 30amp one) is tripping after a few hours of use. The interval seem to be random. E.g. i filled up the tub, and it tripped after a few minutes.

After i reset it, it was running for the whole night, and must have tripped after about 12 hours. After that it ran for about 3hours until it tripped again. The water did heat up over night, and also all the pumps seem to be working.

What I noticed from looking into the unit: I am observing two leaks. One "at the end" of the Watkins no fault 5500, at the thermistor, is a small leak

The second leak i found at a box which is behind the left pump attached to the inner wall of the tub. i assume this is the ozonator? it has a clear plastic tubing going into it and it leaks where it goes into the box. It's hard to reach, so i can't quite see.

Any suggestion on how to trouble shoot this would be appreciated.

thanks,

Sebastian

When the 20 Amp breaker trips, you should be losing all power to the spa, as the 20 Amp breaker is NOT wired to the heater. (We want to ensure it's wired properly) An overheated wire, circ pump, ozone generator, something getting wet, or just a bad breaker are the likely culprits.

That being said- you need to repair or replace the heater as well.

The ozone leak should stop as soon as the tub is running- if not- tighten up the ozone fitting as well.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, when the 20amp breaker trips nothing in the spa seems to be powered( no red led, no pumps, circulators working). Also you are right about the ozone generator, once circulating, the leak stopped( which makes sense too me now :-) .

I also disconnected power to the ozonator (which i could identify today as a Fresh Water II unit). But the breaker still tripped.

My latest "test" was to disconnect the heater from the power, and so far it has not been tripping. Not sure if this is enough of an indication, that the heater unit is bad. For the the one thermistor I think just need to get a new o-ring to stop the small leak. Could that leak actually causing the issue? its relatively small, a few drops just going down the heater, but it's not that any other electrical things are getting flooded by it.

The heater is wired solely to the 30 Amp breaker, and has nothing to do with your issue, assuming the spa is wired correctly.

A bad heater will trip only the 30 Amp breaker, on your spa.

Since the 20 amp is tripping-eliminates the heater as the culprit. Likely failures are the circ pump, bad breaker, ozone generator, overheated wiring/connection. Try disconecting the circ pump next, but leave the heater disconected- you don't want the heater to energize without adequate flow.

Since it trips when no one is using it- we can likely rule out overheated wiring/poor connection as well. The amp draw on the circ pump is between 0.3 and 0.6 amps, which is pretty tiny. My guess is bad circ pump or bad breaker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Put 2 new jet pumps in my Model 36675y in my Grandee ser no. G4b1404.  Reset breaker.  Heater on seperate 30A breaker operating fine.  There are no leaks, or signs of corrosion or wiring issues.  Turned 1 pump on  and loud electrical hum occurs and pump runs.   Pump breaker trips after 4 or 5 sec.  Reset breaker and and same thing happens with 2nd pump.  Plugged pump directly to 110A outlet with jumper cable and pumps operate perfectly.  Going to try new 20A breaker first.  It's 19 yrs old.  Any insight?