Master Spa Twilight Series Circulating Pump

Hello Forum

Looking for some help.

I have a 2011 8 person Master Spa Twilight spa. Very happy with spa over all.

I do have one re occurring issue with the circulating pump failing. I had the original pump replaced in 2013 ( after 2 years of service). The local dealer was helpful and replaced the pump as part of the spa warranty period as a unit. Once again the circulating pump has failed after 1 1/2 years. The pump is a Laing Thermotech part No: E14-NSTNNN2W-10, 230VAC 115watts 140 degree f temp and 29 psi.

I know that the impeller bearing is the cause. water leaks into the motor housing and causes the motor to "lock rotor". This in turn shuts the pump off ( as it is supposed to due to high current). If the heater happens to be on when the pump stops, in turn turns the heater off (heater circulates via the circulating pump) as it is supposed (due to the high temp high limit). After a time the circulating cools enough that the overloads cools and the pump starts again and the cycle continues.

After some time (days or weeks , not sure exactly) the final locked rotor then causes the main spa breaker to trip. Now the entire tub is off.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue?

I feel the Laig pump is not suitable for this tub perhaps. Is there another suitable replacement out there?

The Laig pump is an expensive part to have to replace on average every two years.

PS I was lucky enough to be able to talk with the Master Spa Reps recently hoping to get an answer to avoiding this issue, is it a common problem, etc... There response was that they had only heard of a couple instances where the pump failed and it was due to filter plugged issues. I understand that is possible extra strain on the motor. I my case it is most definitely NOT the issue. Our filters are cleaned on a regular basis and the tub is NOT heavily used (only my wife and I)

I appreciate any insights, recalls, suitable alternative the Laig pump.

Cheers

From Calgary

• 8 months later...

I have an identical experience. In the process of getting second replacement pump in less than three years.

Has anyone been able to find a suitable alternative pump?

I will have this one replaced under warranty however it looks as though i will need to buy the next one myself.

• 5 years later...

We are waiting for our 5th circ. Pump in 10 years. Apparently they go through them so fast that their is a 2 week wait to get one. Each time is a service call.

Where can I buy one to keep in stock and replace it myself when the next one fails?

I usually won't respond to a thread this old, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.

The laing circulation pump has been used for decades in closed loop heat exchanger systems (what they were made for) and last forever in those circumstances. Their advantage over other types is the fact that there is no shaft seal to wear out. Put in an open to air, debris rich, chemical soup and there can be some issues. Scale can unbalance the impeller, (as can hair, leaves, strings from cutoff shorts, and your necklace) which is fatal to one of these, and flow restrictions are just as bad. For a pump that NEVER TURNS OFF and is subjected to the conditions that the average spa owner puts them through, I find it miraculous that they can last 2 years, much less the 10+ I have seen in a few cases, or even the 3-5 year average.

The moral of the story? If your pump craps out often it is probably because of what you did to it. And continue to do.

By the way, you can apply that statement to heaters, o-rings/gaskets, topside controllers, pvc leaks, and just about everything else in a spa.

Just the opinion of a guy with 26 years experience fixing them for a living...

• 1 year later...

I have been repairing our pool and spas myself for years.  My last spa lasted 14 years until it needed a new heater and my husband wanted a lounger, which this one didn't have, so i gave it away.  It was wonderful spa.  So we bought Twilight 87.3. in July 2016. We are not ones to use jets, like quiet and hot.  So jets run about 1/2 hour a day to clean out.  Circ pump liang E14 made loud noise and we replaced July 2020. 4 years.  In May 2022, I noticed It is making that rough noise again intermittently, 22 months after replacing the first one.  I let it go because I have too much happening right now and just went out to checked and spa had flipped the breaker. It was working over the weekend.  So, in looking for pump again, I see price has gone up quite a bit like everything.  Many are out of stock.  So I ended up ordering 2.  I checked to see if this is a common problem and yes it is, so I thought I would just get prepared for the next time too.  KA-CHING.

On 6/21/2015 at 11:07 AM, oddjobski said:

Hello Forum

Looking for some help.

I have a 2011 8 person Master Spa Twilight spa. Very happy with spa over all.

I do have one re occurring issue with the circulating pump failing. I had the original pump replaced in 2013 ( after 2 years of service). The local dealer was helpful and replaced the pump as part of the spa warranty period as a unit. Once again the circulating pump has failed after 1 1/2 years. The pump is a Laing Thermotech part No: E14-NSTNNN2W-10, 230VAC 115watts 140 degree f temp and 29 psi.

I know that the impeller bearing is the cause. water leaks into the motor housing and causes the motor to "lock rotor". This in turn shuts the pump off ( as it is supposed to due to high current). If the heater happens to be on when the pump stops, in turn turns the heater off (heater circulates via the circulating pump) as it is supposed (due to the high temp high limit). After a time the circulating cools enough that the overloads cools and the pump starts again and the cycle continues.

After some time (days or weeks , not sure exactly) the final locked rotor then causes the main spa breaker to trip. Now the entire tub is off.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue?

I feel the Laig pump is not suitable for this tub perhaps. Is there another suitable replacement out there?

The Laig pump is an expensive part to have to replace on average every two years.

PS I was lucky enough to be able to talk with the Master Spa Reps recently hoping to get an answer to avoiding this issue, is it a common problem, etc... There response was that they had only heard of a couple instances where the pump failed and it was due to filter plugged issues. I understand that is possible extra strain on the motor. I my case it is most definitely NOT the issue. Our filters are cleaned on a regular basis and the tub is NOT heavily used (only my wife and I)

I appreciate any insights, recalls, suitable alternative the Laig pump.

Cheers

From Calgary

Ref a 2007 Dim 1 DT 19 Swim spa combo: That is way to early to have a circ failing on a normal HT. Our circ's lasted around 5 years each  before an r & r. So 3 Circ's on a 16 year for an old Dim1 Spa. So yeah a very important part of the system to maintain warm water. on your unit.

IMG_6636.JPG