Replace Or Re-Install Sta Rite Heater

Two years ago, I had a problem with high copper levels in the pool water. Best guess as to the cause of the problem was a 10 year old Sta Rite SR400NA pool heater. So I bypassed the heater and treated/replaced the pool water until the copper was back to acceptable levels. The process was expensive and a PITA.

I've gone two seasons now without a problem but I want to add heat back to the pool. Before going out and buying a new heater, I was wondering if there was any way to determine if my original heater has a problem or not? Obviously, re-connecting it and seeing if my copper problem comes back is NOT an option.

If there isn't, I'm just going to replace it.

Thx

Ron

You could just replace the heat exchanger inside of the heater if the rest of it still works fine. Go with the Cupronickel version. I believe the part number for your model is 777070244. This version will be less likely than the standard version to break down and put copper into your water.

The copper isnt "breaking down" On its own anyway. There are three popular ways that the copper could be getting into you pool. First and least is copper in your supply water You can check for this relatively easily to rule out (Water test). Next likely could be your water velocity is actually stripping or eroding the copper right off the surface of the exchanger. Finally, your water chemistry can be doing it by means of low Ph (too much acid or an "overdose" of it).

Pool Clown: The original problem was most likely due to very low pH. The pool was opened and then run for about a month with no attention to chemicals due to a death in the family. When we came back to the house, the pool chemistry was tested and the high copper levels were found. Over the last two years, lots of water has been added so I doubt the supply was the source.

SpaSage: Thx for the reminder. I was considering just replacing the heat exchanger originally. I didn't have time for a DIY that first year and in talking to a couple of local techs they all recommended replacing the unit given its age figuring that the exchanger would just be the first part to go. I reconnected the electrical over the weekend and the unit seemed to check out. I need to re-open the gas supply and see if it still fires up. If it does, then I'll dismantle and try the replace exchanger route.