Back To Investigation For 1St Tub - Advice Welcome

After several weeks of research, I narrowed down to the Caldera Geneva. The seating was high enough to look out (vs the Makena) and still comfortable enough for adults and fit our family of four nicely + some guests.. We were ready to place an order (even when I knew the pricing), but decided not to place at the last minute. I liked the tub, the configuration and features; however, total price was $11.4K. The more we thought about it, the more we realized that is quite a bit to pay for a hot tub.

We are 1st time buyers and our criteria remains the same -- quality product, lounger seat, capacity ~6 persons, local dealer in case of service. Nice to have: LED lights, more than 40 jets

The dealer for Caldera wasn't able to move on the price. There is a Hot Springs and SunDance dealer but a bit further distance than I would prefer.

So I found another local dealer who sales Jacuzzi, South Seas and Artisian spas. The South Seas 850 B/L price point is lower and more in line with what we would like to pay (under $9K); however, I'm concerned about the warranty and overall quality of the product.

It's not critical that we purchase right away - but I also don't want to over-analyze (been reviewing now for a month).

Your advice is welcome on the above manufacturers, in particular the Jacuzzi J375, J355, J275 and the South Seas 850 B/L.

(Also - we're in the Houston area -- how important is the foam filled cabinet and ozone system?)

Thank you

South Seas is made by Artesian who is a great manufacturer with a longstanding reputation for quality. That is an awesome hot tub that can feel comfortable purchasing. The original Caldera is also a fantastic hot tub, but I totally understand not wanting to spend that much. If you like the South Seas, I say go for it. Artesian builds a quality hot tub and they have been around for a very long time.

My personal recommendation would be to remove Master Spas from your list of potential spas. They have a reputation for dishonest and shady business practices and are middle of the road quality, at best. It will also use quite a bit more energy to operate.

As far as foam insulation, I think that it's important not just for insulation purposes, but also because it supports the plumbing and shell. Keeping a hot tub at 104 degrees, even in Houston, will cost less with better insulation.

Ozone is installed on the majority of hot tubs sold. There are pros and cons to it, but by no means is it necessary.

Good luck!

Hi Loopcity and all

I really do appreciate your comments. We were at a show this past weekend and Master a Spas was trying hard to sell the TS 8.2 right at $9300. But the price was only good for 24 hrs and I wasn't comfortable with that tactic.

The lowest that I've been able to negotiate for the Caldera Geneva is $10.5k (with tax, cover, steps, delivery , setup)

This week, I will look at the bullfrog A7L and R7L

Thoughts in Bullfrog? What is a fair market price in these in houston area?

Thank you

I'm comparing Vita Prestige, Envie, Caldera Martinique and Bullfrog myself in San Antonio area. Wet tested the Prestige and Bullfrog A7 so far. My wife had a little trouble floating in the lounge of Prestige so we want to try the Envie because the lounge appears more upright and might let her stay more in lounge without floating.

The Bullfrog seemed pretty good but not a lot of good calf or foot jets it seemed to me. I did like the Rainshower and Neckblaster seats quite a bit though.

Any advice on Vita Envie vs Caldera Martinque vs comparable Bullfrog, possibly R6l or similar? Looking to stay below $8300 which would get the Caldera Tahitian but my wife had trouble with that lounge as well, she is 5'2" about 125 lbs.

The lounge in the Vita Elegant seemed to fit her dry better and it allows sitting on either end to give a couple of options in length, but it is a step down in class from Prestige or Envie and not sure if it is too "low end"?

Any advice would be appreciated greatly. Trying to read as much as possible, but doesn't appear to be a lot of feedback on 2014, 2015 tubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Have 3 selections to choose from now: Sundance Chelsee, Hot Springs Pulse or Bullfrog R7. More or less, we couldn't notice any discernible difference in the jets when tested (our main interest is general relaxation & enjoyment).

The Sundance and Hot Springs seemed a bit more 'polished' than Bullfrog, but the Bullfrog is a few hundred dollars less expensive than the other two. Our local dealer for Bullfrog has only been in business for the spas ~2 years whereas, the other dealers, have 20+ years service.

So -- please some final advice on these 3 products.

Thanks

Stephanie

If the price difference between the Bullfrog is only "a few hundred dollars less" than the Sundance or the Hot Springs, definitely go with the Hot Springs or Sundance. They're both high quality spas. It sounds like you like both of the dealers... so, simply buy the one that you like the best.